• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Greatest ever XI

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think people are looking not only at raw ability, but contribution to the club. That means that players with great ability (could put Ampadu in this bracket) will be overlooked because they weren't here for long enough. Has to be balance, though.

If we're going by raw ability, Nicky Law should probably be up there for central midfielders. He's the best I've seen at SJP.
I think you could almost have two separate elevens. One for the talented players who only played a handful of games -Bastin, Friend Ampadu - and one for those who made the greatest contribution of the club. Anyway all the arguments on this thread are keeping us entertained while we wait for the next signing.

chunkymorrinmunter

I think you could almost have two separate elevens. One for the talented players who only played a handful of games -Bastin, Friend Ampadu - and one for those who made the greatest contribution of the club. Anyway all the arguments on this thread are keeping us entertained while we wait for the next signing.
Dont forget Maurice Setters ,only a few games played i believe.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dont forget Maurice Setters ,only a few games played i believe.
And Jordan Storey - I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

Temporarily Exiled

XI of most talented players that played fewer than 40 league games for City:

??? – Morrison
Bastin – Sharpe – Ampadu – Setters
Friend – Storey – ??? – ???
Hamer​

Really had to shoehorn Sharpe in there, too.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry Sexton, but whenever I saw him play he was on the wing..this was at the time we got promoted.
Indo to be fair I watched him regularly and my recollection was that he mostly played on the wing but according to the ECFC book “A Complete Record 1904-1990” during the twelve seasons he played for the Club he also played a significant number of games at both inside right and inside left.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
XI of most talented players that played fewer than 40 league games for City:

??? – Morrison
Bastin – Sharpe – Ampadu – Setters
Friend – Storey – ??? – ???
Hamer​

Really had to shoehorn Sharpe in there, too.
George Friend played more than 40 games for us. Including his loan spell he made 51 appearances for us.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Alan Gow has to be the most talented player to wear a City Shirt....Ribeiro and Friend are shoe ins surely in the full back positions - David Wheeler our best winger and header of the ball... Then you have the issue of Ampadu and Watkins... I will never forget the first time I saw Ampadu at Oxford when at the age of 15 he was directing play, wanting the ball all the time, pointing at senior players to move position... Ollie seamlessly moving from league 2 to the championship and becoming a top player at Brentford.... Jamie Mackie must be in with a shout as well...
Sorry AG there have been a number of talented players who have worn the City shirt briefly before being picked up by higher league clubs but when talking about a talented player who played for the Club on a more regular basis Gordon Dale stands head and shoulders above anyone.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
OK - I have enough wingers to contemplate and sort...

Centre forwards... Go!

A Banks
A Beer
A Gow
A Stansfield
D Curtis
D Rowbotham
F Binney
J Cureton
J Mackie
J Stockley
O Watkins
S Devine
S Flack
T Kellow

Have all been mentioned in the thread. Anyone to add/remove/debate?
Mid 20s Harold Blackmore born in Silverton 47 goals in 77 appearances before joining Bolton in the old First Division and continuing to find the back of net on a regular basis being their top goal scorer for three consecutive seasons and scoring a goal in Wanderers FA Cup Final victory over Portsmouth in 1929.

Temporarily Exiled

George Friend played more than 40 games for us. Including his loan spell he made 51 appearances for us.
Completely forgot about the loan spell...

But hey, we can keep him on a technicality. Fewer than 20 games were actually in the football league.

Last edited:

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry Sexton, but whenever I saw him play he was on the wing..this was at the time we got promoted.
Sorry Mike you're largely wrong. Graham was originally signed as a winger from Pontypridd youth club but was converted to an inside forward where he scored the majority of his goals. I actually played with Graham several times in the reserves when he was coming back from injury. He had the option to play where he wanted but chose to play at inside right when I played right wing.