• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goodbye Tisdale

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tisdale in the Times article says the club have been in tick over mode for the last 5 years & says that a cross roads has been reached. Exactly as you have said but when he did it he is accused of bad mouthing the board. Hello why is he bad mouthing but you are being constructive.
It’s about time people actually read what was said not what they think was said!
Isn't our financial situation confidential information?

squiz

He revealed no financial details so no breach of confidentiality & I suspect the article would of had to of been approved by the board under his contract of employment, if not another issue to discuss with the owners of the club & their management team.

IndoMike

He revealed no financial details so no breach of confidentiality & I suspect the article would of had to of been approved by the board under his contract of employment, if not another issue to discuss with the owners of the club & their management team.
Ok.. ... . ......

ExeterCityLad

It was not a comparison but a documented fact about Steve Bruce & Villa. Yes a 24 month rolling contract is twice as long as a 12 month one.
So just been reading up on rolling contracts & according to the Law Gazette it’s just Management consultants “Gobbledegook” as a rolling contract is a contract that can in fact have notice of termination given at any time & is the type of contract that most employees in the uk work under the 2 year bit which dictates the severance compensation payout. The Cadbury report said that the maximum term should be no more than 2 years.
It also states that a true rolling contract is a fixed term contract that automatically renews at its end date with a new fixed term contract of the same length unless notice is served at the prescribed break point.
Good to do some research & learn something every day, so you were saying?
It's not 'gobbledygook' at all. We know it can be terminated at any time, which is why we did. As it's not financially viable in the slightest.

It means he will always have a minimum of 2 years on his contract that we will need to pay off. Other managers time decreases, and are usually offered extensions based on performance. It means he is in a very lax job with minimum pressure.

Comparing 'the average' job with a football managerial job is also pretty ridiculous for obvious reasons.

davecg

Club is at a crossroad. And the points that Tisdale is making are ones that need to be faced.
When we he took over we sold key players to Torquay after a PO final defeat, he restructured the team and got us promoted.
After promotion from League Two, we sold key players and used the money to fund a sustainable go at League One football. Once that money dried out, the budget dropped and we were relegated.
No players were sold for the next few years and we stumbled around in League Two.
Recent player sales has led to improvement in infrastructure and a commitment over the next three years (two more after this year) to a better more competitive budget.

And once that money runs out and if the academy runs dry for a couple of years.... back to square one. 12 years from when he took over, still facing the same issue.

As a club we live and die on weather or not we have a manager, and his coaching team, capable of producing talent that we can sell to support the club. We have a manager responsible for the strength of his own budget.
That has to change.

Does the non football side of this football club, of which the owners of it are responsible for, bring enough income to help the football manager improve the results on the pitch?

This football club is in the healthiest position I can remember it being in, but how come? Sponsorship? Investment? Commercial growth? Or because we have coaching team and manager who has progressed some excellent young talent to the point in which they have made the football club a HUGE sum of money.
Is Paul Tisdale not entitled to say "before you judge me, what exactly are you bringing to the table?"

I think Paul might stay, but at the end of the, in his words, next "economic cycle," where to now for Exeter City? Because once the Watkins money dries up our budget is back to square one, and if we find ourselves in League One that will only end one way. We can ask as many questions about Tisdale as we like, tactics, his offish demeanour, but as a club are we moving forward as a business or are we entirely dependent on weather or not the academy can pull a rabbit out the hat and keep the club going? At the moment it feels like we want Tisdale to run the team and the club. The opportunity to go somewhere where he can just be a football manager, and not have to worry about weather or not he has an Ethan Ampadu coming through that can sustain his budget, must be very appealing.

All eyes are on Paul, the club are silent, even with the criticism Tisdale is lobbing its way. Its a damning time and we need to move forward in a more productive way, with or without Paul Tisdale

Last edited:

Terryhall

Club is at a crossroad. And the points that Tisdale is making are ones that need to be faced.
When we he took over we sold key players to Torquay after a PO final defeat, he restructured the team and got us promoted.
After promotion from League Two, we sold key players and used the money to fund a sustainable go at League One football. Once that money dried out, the budget dropped and we were relegated.
No players were sold for the next few years and we stumbled around in League Two.
Recent player sales has led to improvement in infrastructure and a commitment over the next three years (two more after this year) to a better more competitive budget.

And once that money runs out and if the academy runs dry for a couple of years.... back to square one. 12 years from when he took over, still facing the same issue.

As a club we live and die on weather or not we have a manager, and his coaching team, capable of producing talent that we can sell to support the club. We have a manager responsible for the strength of his own budget.
That has to change.

Does the non football side of this football club, of which the owners of it are responsible for, bring enough income to help the football manager improve the results on the pitch?

This football club is in the healthiest position I can remember it being in, but how come? Sponsorship? Investment? Commercial growth? Or because we have coaching team and manager who has progressed some excellent young talent to the point in which they have made the football club a HUGE sum of money.
Is Paul Tisdale not entitled to say "before you judge me, what exactly are you bringing to the table?"

I think Paul might stay, but at the end of the, in his words, next "economic cycle," where to now for Exeter City? Because once the Watkins money dries up our budget is back to square one, and if we find ourselves in League One that will only end one way. We can ask as many questions about Tisdale as we like, tactics, his offish demeanour, but as a club are we moving forward as a business or are we entirely dependent on weather or not the academy can pull a rabbit out the hat and keep the club going? At the moment it feels like we want Tisdale to run the team and the club. The opportunity to go somewhere where he can just be a football manager, and not have to worry about weather or not he has an Ethan Ampadu coming through that can sustain his budget, must be very appealing.

All eyes are on Paul, the club are silent, even with the criticism Tisdale is lobbing its way. Its a damning time and we need to move forward in a more productive way, with or without Paul Tisdale
Two bolded sections in your post there davecg. Is it then fair to say that the management team we have now, was not capable of developing players during that poor 5 year spell in the middle of Tisdales reign? Does Tisdale bear any responsibility for that period in your opinion?
I completely agree with your last sentence - whatever Tisdale decides to do with the contract that the club has offered to him, we need to move forward productively (in my opinion, under the Trust ownership model.)

Last edited:

squiz

I wasn’t comparing anything just stating facts. The contract was not sustainable I agree & needed to be ended but it was the club that offered it in the first place to tie it some financial security. The question is really WTF have the owners been doing for the last 18 months, sitting on their hands. If they wanted him to stay the negotiations should of been completed & the contract signed before Wembley. If he doesn’t want to sign it’s thanks very much but you need to go find another job & we should have been interviewing the this week. All the blame for the fiasco lays at the owners & their representatives door.
The contract is a total red herring that expired the day notice was served I cannot understand why it is continually held up as an issue. If the new contract is a fixed term 3 year deal renegotiated at the 18 month point is that not a version of a rolling contract:

Red Bill

He revealed no financial details so no breach of confidentiality & I suspect the article would of had to of been approved by the board under his contract of employment, if not another issue to discuss with the owners of the club & their
management team.
If I'd made the comments he did about my employer, under my contract of employment it would have constituted gross misconduct and instant dismissal. I don't think I've ever had a contract that didn't include a clause like that, so maybe he was luck not to get sacked on the spot with no compensation.

And to suggest the club would have any censorship rights after he'd given the interview is utterly ridiculous. I can imagine the conversation:
Club, "hello is that the editor of the times"
Times, "yes"
Club, "Its Exeter City here, Our Manager gave an interview with one of you journalists"
Times, "ok, so what"
Club, "well we'd like to read what he said so we can approve it before its printed"
Time, "**** off!"
Club, 'But he might have made derogatory remarks about our club"
Times, "lets hope so eh!"
click...prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

geoffwp

Good afternoon Old Chap. :)

ps. me and Geoffrey couldn't be described as Exeweb chums however his loyalty to Tisdale is always apparent, fair play to the old baboon.
Good afternoon PC. I must admit I do like to monkey about. ;)

squiz

Have you actually read the article or just going on hearsay. At what point does he bad mouth the club, the board or anything like it. He says he is disappointed, hurt, neglected but not wilfully. He says we have stood still, he would of liked to have seen more progress wth the contract, wants to move forward & that the trust has done a magnificent job in its 17 years. But there’s nothing that could be called gross misconduct.