• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favourite away ground

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Good thread! So many things to consider for me- entry price, ability to stand, location in comparison to station/town, availability of local pubs and how good City'd record at the particular ground is. I don't particularly like most of the newer grounds, but for me the ideal is a terrace with a roof (which is quite rare). I think if I was a non-Exeter fan I would really like Exeter as an away day!
I would add where we are stood. Would love to be somewhere near the half way line, but otherwise behind the goal. Don't like being ticked away on the side near the corner flag.

Dannyred

I would add where we are stood. Would love to be somewhere near the half way line, but otherwise behind the goal. Don't like being ticked away on the side near the corner flag.
Lincoln away was like that on our last visit.

Legohead

Banned
I hate this too but a lot of clubs do it to us sadly. Like Scunthorpe this season on purpose or Bradford where they have a perfectly good away end behind the goal unused. Macc too. The list goes on. Does my head in. I know at some clubs if you were to buy a ticket in the home ends, the wing sections at the ends of stands are often slightly cheaper than the centre areas. Presumably because it's a shit view. Yet a lot of away clubs chuck us all in these wing sections and charge us full price!

For me, it's the nostalgia of Football in the 'bygone' era. In the last decade, The Gas up in Bristol in my personal favourite. Also we've been lucky to go to Hillsborough and Fratton Park. All 'proper' footballing grounds, as I describe our own little SJP to others!

Leads

I hate this too but a lot of clubs do it to us sadly. Like Scunthorpe this season on purpose or Bradford where they have a perfectly good away end behind the goal unused. Macc too. The list goes on. Does my head in. I know at some clubs if you were to buy a ticket in the home ends, the wing sections at the ends of stands are often slightly cheaper than the centre areas. Presumably because it's a **** view. Yet a lot of away clubs chuck us all in these wing sections and charge us full price!
You realise that Exeter do this too right?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
For me, it's the nostalgia of Football in the 'bygone' era. In the last decade, The Gas up in Bristol in my personal favourite. Also we've been lucky to go to Hillsborough and Fratton Park. All 'proper' footballing grounds, as I describe our own little SJP to others!
Surely The Mem is a "proper" rugby ground 😉.

Oldsmobile-88

We all use a different criteria for our personal favourites..Ambience,Atmosphere.Athestics being the main drivers for most.

I look at the ease of location when arriving in the town/city where the Grecians are playing.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We all use a different criteria for our personal favourites..Ambience,Atmosphere.Athestics being the main drivers for most.

I look at the ease of location when arriving in the town/city where the Grecians are playing.
This probably makes Colchester's ground good, in that if you're going by car you can go to the football without having to go through Colchester!

Legohead

Banned
You realise that Exeter do this too right?
Yes, absolutely. Still hate it though and feel it shouldn't be done.

Oldsmobile-88

This probably makes Colchester's ground good, in that if you're going by car you can go to the football without having to go through Colchester!
Probably correct..Don’t mind it there to be honest.
Though I usually try these days to avoid any ground that requires me to use the M25,so have not visited on the past few times the Grecians have played there.