• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favourite away ground

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nothing better than winning away at argyle.

Also liked vale park before the seats, the vetch, the valley, meadow lane when we were behind the goal and griffin park.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Brentford and Cheltenham as mentioned by other.

Also like Orient - good old fashioned stand, plenty of racket created and a good view, plus the comedy factor of the flats. Always a good City following and the spiritual home of the Exiles.
Dagenham's away stand is very good too. Area is a dump, but the stand is just right for an away following of 300-500

Edit - I know we've not been there, but the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium really is something else. Be good to see City there one day.

Last edited:

sign of the chimes

Fratton Park is a favourite. I also quite like the unevenness of Gresty Road and the Bescot.
Agree on Fratton. In the sense of a rather badly faded old lady.
Fair comment! I wouldn't want to sit in the away end too often - the lack of legroom in other stands is noticeable - they are all old, and we're a historically short city! The (away) Milton End is pretty horrendous in that respect. There are plans afoot to give it a bit of a facelift though, to carry on the faded old lady analogy, only so much you can do. That said, I prefer the atmosphere that can be generated in a FP to most, if not all, of the new stadia I've visited over the past few years - though I understand the new Spurs stadium is pretty special in that respect.

Have to say I enjoyed the geniality of both Exeter City and Exeter, the city, on the couple of occasions I've visited in the last six or seven years. The (old) away end was pretty basic but still a decent enough setting to watch a match in.

Dannyred

Cheltenham
MK
Mansfield
Luton
Fleetwood

Avening Posse

Luton for the gladiatorial atmosphere and olden days feel.
Cheltenham for the overall day out.
Carlisle, nice stroll from the station and town, some decent pubs, and great quirky design of the older parts of the ground.
Have to give Orient a mention as have watched City play there from 3 of the 4 sides as the away end has changed over the years and always had a good day out.

sign of the chimes

Luton for the gladiatorial atmosphere and olden days feel.
Cheltenham for the overall day out.
Carlisle, nice stroll from the station and town, some decent pubs, and great quirky design of the older parts of the ground.
Have to give Orient a mention as have watched City play there from 3 of the 4 sides as the away end has changed over the years and always had a good day out.
Great shout on Orient. Some proper old-school boozers in the vicinity as well as the stadium set-up.

fred binneys head

Favourite away day has to be argyle. The edge to the game, great atmosphere, big away following, the tension from the moment you leave your car until you get back, perfect away day. There’s no other game I look forward to more.

les.gtfc

Got to be Anfield for me. Fantastic ground and an amazing night when we won there in 2001.

chunkymorrinmunter

i thought Telford was decent ,from our non league days,,

Leads

Good thread! So many things to consider for me- entry price, ability to stand, location in comparison to station/town, availability of local pubs and how good City'd record at the particular ground is. I don't particularly like most of the newer grounds, but for me the ideal is a terrace with a roof (which is quite rare). I think if I was a non-Exeter fan I would really like Exeter as an away day!