• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Grimsby Town Matchday Thread

Jimi

Thought Sercombe was weak today. His first touch was poor and he lacks pace off the mark. Sorry to say that I think that Edwards is in need of a rest too - he's earned it - but for a number of games now he has given away possession either through being caught on the ball or mis-placing his passes.

Overall, I think a draw was a fair result since neither team did enough to win
I agree with the sentiments that Sercombe was disappointing today, but I think there have been flashes of quality from him in what I have seen so far, and in context the touch of a number of players today was below-par, so I would by no means single him out. I think away from the first team he needs some close attention in regard to his strength, as Kingsman has noted, because like it or not we are going to need him later in the season. I think Newell did his homework very well today, and perhaps it is a sign of things to come and a consequence of our burgeoning reputation and respect as a passing side that oppositions are going to be getting more tight onto us. Sercombe is still inexperienced and I think Grimsby rushing us into a number of errors today seemed to jolt the whole team.

As for Edwards, I agree again, which gets me thinking how crucial this stage in the season is. Edwards' presence on the field is huge but he certainly looks out of form and it will be a big test to see how we cope when he is inevitably rested.

pelsey

You can shove your stone island up your arse, this
Thought it was a poor game to watch today. It was just one of those days really, on another we might have scored 2 or 3. Thought Robbie Edwards was very poor for his standards today. Anyway, a point's a point and i cannot wait 'til Port Vale now!!! :D

information_ministry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sir Rob was not at his best today, but he suffered from lack of support in that there were very few options for him to pass to today. I thought we played too deep at times and would have done better to attack the slow but huge Grimsby defence.

Some games will be like that. Big crowd, new Manager syndrome, high expectations and the only thing missing were the TV cameras!

i_m

pelsey

Sir Rob was not at his best today, but he suffered from lack of support in that there were very few options for him to pass to today. I thought we played too deep at times and would have done better to attack the slow but huge Grimsby defence.

Some games will be like that. Big crowd, new Manager syndrome, high expectations and the only thing missing were the TV cameras!

i_m
New manager???!!! ^o)

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mike Newell, new manager of Grimsby.

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
New manager???!!! ^o)
Have you not heard ? Tis has left and Bertie has taken over, with Tim Sills as his number two. ;) ^o)

pelsey

Well it sounded to me like he was talking about ECFC, not Grimsby. :S

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think Info Min was talking generally about the things that could go against and make life harder than it would normally be. For example, until we beat Oxford in the play-off semi finals the TV cameras were a bad omen for us irrespective of our previous form. Teams that turn up with a new manager invariably play better than they would have done if you'd played them three weeks earlier.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Jonah's kicking and decision making were poor IMO.
I think what bothered me was the crowd reaction. Made me more nervous than anything else. And Tully, ffs don't put your goalie under pressure in that manner, if you don't know what to do then stick it up the field for a throw in.

Agree with those that didn't think Sercombe had a good game, was hoping that Tis would take him off a lot earlier and bring on Cozic. We needn't someone to battle in midfield.

dhenley

Didnt hear any announcement but from Cheggerspics it looks to me like Moxey