• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Grimsby Town Matchday Thread

grecianstew

Sorry babe, thought Sercombe poor today. Too lightweight and too easily brushed off the ball. I'll be disappointed if he starts on Tuesday, IMO he's not ready for first team football yet.
I obviously dont type fast enough, though i would like to see him eased in.
Although only on for a couple minutes, i liked Shepherd's demeanour. Organising those around him, and he even won a ball in the air! Didn't seem overawed!

Newtonpop

Obviously 0-0 at home was dissapointing but still a point although 3 would have been better. How many game's in recent time's would we have lost today though??

Barnet scraped an away win today with 10 men so next week will be hard, although we do seem to be doing well away. Will be my 1st game in league 2 so looking forward to it and let's get a good win:D:D

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not great but not bad either....like everyone else I thought we missed Harleys creativity today....MOM Matt Taylor...Pass of the day Sercs eye of a needle through ball that very nearly put Stanno in, in the second half.

Dobley

We didn't need Harley today.

We needed Flacky.

Kingsman

Sorry babe, thought Sercombe poor today. Too lightweight and too easily brushed off the ball. I'll be disappointed if he starts on Tuesday, IMO he's not ready for first team football yet.
Agree with you on this one Ant, I'm not sure if he is lightweight but needs to be toughened up. He also appears to lack confidence re his movement but that will come with match practice, lets hope the reserves have a few matches coming up.

Though he was only on for a few minutes I thought Shepherd looked decisive it will be interesting to see how he develops.

older-codger

Thought Sercombe was weak today. His first touch was poor and he lacks pace off the mark. Sorry to say that I think that Edwards is in need of a rest too - he's earned it - but for a number of games now he has given away possession either through being caught on the ball or mis-placing his passes.

Overall, I think a draw was a fair result since neither team did enough to win

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
On todays showing, I have to agree, looked lost in his role today. I'd have subbed him off for Cozic at half time. (Did I really just say that ?!) ;)

That said, I'd have put Stewie in Liam's role today, and Liam in Stewie's regular position.

Frustrating day today, though excellent crowd, well done everybody ! [y]

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
We were the better side again today, again encouraging that only Bradford have outplayed us really. We created a lot of half chances and were unlucky not to convert one of them, one goal would've been enough for either side probably. Jonesy got some stick from the back of the bank (cue ensuing rows) but recovered from a horrific start to kick brilliantly for the rest of the game - this is what I've always wanted to see from him - bouncebackability. Its a good weapon for a keepers armoury.

Sercombe was well out of his element, he did brilliantly in Bury, today he was lost and poor. He is getting there though, and you can see that the raw potential he showed when he first started out is still there. Stanno did well as a lone striker again (for the most part), Logan I thought was tremendous, but man of the match hands-down, was Matt Gill. Defence was very solid and all had good games. I agree with whoever said Edwards could do with a rest, maybe when Panther comes back?

I can only assume Bash and Watson were ill or unavailable today, they would had to have been on the bench surely if not?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bash was there, so was Panther, along with Saunders and Harley too - that's not a bad list of suits!

As for MOM, one from Stans, Stewart or Taylor. I'd probably go for Stewart.

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
I agree with whoever said Edwards could do with a rest, maybe when Panther comes back?
I agree, Rob was off the pace today a bit, despite that excellent surge upfield. Sadly though, and you're right it would have been a prime chance for Manny, he's now going to miss six of our matches through his suspension saga.