• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Grimsby Town Matchday Thread

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only listened to the 2nd half and there didnt seem to much excitement - only a couple of half-chances... Still, decent crowd and im happy with a draw. I did say that it would be a very difficult game.

A Slacker

Just got back from game. Not particularly disappointed, just feeling very very medium.

I disagree with the comments that Grimsby were there for the taking today. They gave us very little space in the middle of the park and I thought were defensively excellent. The quality of our crossing today was generally very good, with a few exceptions of course, yet we were restricted to only a few decent opportunities, that didnt get any better than Logie's early header which was well saved.

Marcus Stewart was my MOTM today (I didn't actually catch who was the official MOTM), who showed his class in everything he did. Despite being offered little by the Grimsby back line, he continually carved out space and snuffed out a number of Grimsby counters with some excellent tackling. Logan was getting some stick from a few elements where I was, but I thought that aside from winning very little in the air, on the ground he was very good today, particularly considering the service to him was little more than long target balls. Elsewhere, Edwards frequently seemed far from his usual assured self, giving away possession softly a few times, and Stansfield had one of those days where nothing seemed to go right, despite his endeavour. At the back we were good, if a little dallying at times, and Jones had an excellent game barring some near-heart-attack-enducing clearances.

Tisdale at least tried to tweak the formation when McCallister came on for Stewart, but the move didn't really look like providing much more penetration and in the end a draw was reasonably fair, despite an apparently stone wall red card for Newey (I think) which I missed due to an impromptu sneezing fit.

A home draw against a win-less team sounds disappointing, and it is to an extent, but this is the same team who took a fantastic point away at Wycombe last week and were unlucky not to get the win. I think that Grimsby under the embarrassingly comical misogynist Mike Newell are a much stronger proposition than the whipping boys of early season, so its far from doom and gloom this evening, and hey, we're still 7th :)
You are spot on in your assessment of the game. I thought Grimsby were superb in that they closed us down all over the park and caused us problems on the break. I was certainly biting my nails at the end as they could easily have snatched a win. We definitely missed Harley but the fact that we had so many corners and didn't really threaten with them was disappointing. However I did enjoy the match once it woke up.

Although not a Tully fan, I was really impressed with him today as I was with all the back four. They defended very well particularly when Grimsby broke as there was often little cover from midfield. Jonah did well with the saves but also gave me a couple of heart attacks (a la Torquay). Others played well in patches and Sercombe played Stansfield through at one point with a peach of a ball and did OK on a rare start. I felt the last 10 mins petered out once Stewart went off and we had the reshuffle. Just shows how important both Harley and Stewart are to the team.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
...Bring on Port Vale.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Only had time to read this one page of the thread, so I'm going to go through the rest of the weekend with only Ian Harris's observations to give me a feel for the game. That's how much I trust the bauy!
Nice to know somebody trusts my judgement Al.;)

ECFC Nursey!

RIP to City's number nine. Sleep tight love
You are spot on in your assessment of the game. I thought Grimsby were superb in that they closed us down all over the park and caused us problems on the break. I was certainly biting my nails at the end as they could easily have snatched a win. We definitely missed Harley but the fact that we had so many corners and didn't really threaten with them was disappointing. However I did enjoy the match once it woke up.

Although not a Tully fan, I was really impressed with him today as I was with all the back four. They defended very well particularly when Grimsby broke as there was often little cover from midfield. Jonah did well with the saves but also gave me a couple of heart attacks (a la Torquay). Others played well in patches and Sercombe played Stansfield through at one point with a peach of a ball and did OK on a rare start. I felt the last 10 mins petered out once Stewart went off and we had the reshuffle. Just shows how important both Harley and Stewart are to the team.

Hmm don't think Grimsby were superb, neither team shone for me today tbh. I am disappointed of course, it just seemed like I was watching a different team play today to what have seen in recent weeks. Think we missed Harley, thought Sercombe and Stewart had a good game. Please don't get me started on their number 3 :mad::mad:

Will be there at PV and Barnet giving my support to the team

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was just one of those days.

7th place can't complain.

And onto the negatives :D

Thought Edwards was poor & I'd of replaced Stanno sooner. Apart from that ... [y]

Antony Moxey

Match report now up on the official site

STURTZ

Not too disappointed.

Grimsby have obviously profitted from their new manager and although nothing special they did look well organised and threatened from the break.

Although I wouldn't say we were poor I thought we lacked that creative spark that could turn midfield possession into attack. That spark is called Ryan Harley of course and although Sercombe played well he didn't have that vision and ball holding ability.

Never mind another clean sheet and unbeaten in four.

Good day out!

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
76% possession !!!

ECFC Nursey!

RIP to City's number nine. Sleep tight love
Match report now up on the official site
Its not there!