• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Carlisle United - Match Day Thread

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Three new signings scoring on their first league appearance for City not sure but I think very unlikely that this has happened before!!?

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm probably going to get shot to pieces for this but I didn't see that much difference between a good performance today and good performance under Tisdale. The build up play was similar, knock it around until and until the gaps were created or knock it long into Stockley. The only noticeable difference was that it was done quicker and with conviction and that we now have a bit of pace up top to be able capitalise on the spaces created but if you take like for like as much as you can get it, versus Carlisle today against Carlisle in the play-offs at home or if you want something more recent Lincoln last season (apart from the obvious differences in personnel), spot the difference. I can almost guarantee that if Tis was still here and played Laws where did (pretty much the same way he was deploying Harley, playing inside left rather than wide on the left with licence to float a bit),people would be on here absolutely slating Tis for it. I can imagine Laws, like Harley, is probably more effective in a central role. We played plenty of long balls into Stockley today, last years management getting slated for it not a word muttered today. The only difference being we had some pace Stockley to work off of him. After 70 minutes we dropped back and held much like were doing under Tis. Some will point to the heat as the reason for this. It might be a valid point but we've got nothing to compare it against and last season it was total scandal to do this.
Let's not beat about the bush, we were good today but we should have had the game wrapped up by half time (that's a phrase that sounds familiar to last season) but found ourselves inviting unnecersery pressure for the last twenty minutes.
Positivity was the name of the game today and I did not see us knocking it around at the back. The tactic was to move and pass the ball forward quickly and as for comparing Nicky Law with Harley they are as different as chalk and cheese. Law is combatative with a decent turn of speed and definitely a class above this league.

Also nothing wrong with playing long balls up to Stockley he wins headers, is good at laying the ball off either with his head, feet or chest and unlike under you who know who’s management at long last now has someone up along side him who can benefit from this.

Positive spin

I'm probably going to get shot to pieces for this but I didn't see that much difference between a good performance today and good performance under Tisdale. The build up play was similar, knock it around until and until the gaps were created or knock it long into Stockley. The only noticeable difference was that it was done quicker and with conviction and that we now have a bit of pace up top to be able capitalise on the spaces created but if you take like for like as much as you can get it, versus Carlisle today against Carlisle in the play-offs at home or if you want something more recent Lincoln last season (apart from the obvious differences in personnel), spot the difference. I can almost guarantee that if Tis was still here and played Laws where did (pretty much the same way he was deploying Harley, playing inside left rather than wide on the left with licence to float a bit),people would be on here absolutely slating Tis for it. I can imagine Laws, like Harley, is probably more effective in a central role. We played plenty of long balls into Stockley today, last years management getting slated for it not a word muttered today. The only difference being we had some pace Stockley to work off of him. After 70 minutes we dropped back and held much like were doing under Tis. Some will point to the heat as the reason for this. It might be a valid point but we've got nothing to compare it against and last season it was total scandal to do this.
Let's not beat about the bush, we were good today but we should have had the game wrapped up by half time (that's a phrase that sounds familiar to last season) but found ourselves inviting unnecersery pressure for the last twenty minutes.
Considering our third goal I cannot imagine Harley winning the ball in his own half, sprinting forward, playing the ball one side of the defender and running the other side before passing to Stockley

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Considering our third goal I cannot imagine Harley winning the ball in his own half, sprinting forward, playing the ball one side of the defender and running the other side before passing to Stockley
PS in a nutshell.

Dubai Grecian

Disappointed that there were no youth players on display.
No pleasing some people.

JRFowler

When u have Martin and Abrahams coming off the bench youth ain't gonna see much of the game with a fully fit squad

Dubai Grecian

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and its always interesting to see others take on a game, that said Botaeng had more freedom, competed more passes than any game before, Law offered an attacking mobile threat we've not had before, Fonte showed we have potential of another strong forward.

We have footballers in our team now, we still have areas to change, confident we'll see additions and agreed we should have gone in 3-1 at half time.

Suspect Carlisle will finish top ten if not higher, they are by no means an easy team to beat.

David Treharne

I enjoyed the win, however I thought that the second half was a nervous performance. Nearly all the Carlisle attacks came down the left where Sweeney had a hard job in trying to contain their players and if there are going to be players coming in that's probably where they need to be fitted in. I also thought that at times Troy Brown looked uncomfortable with the role that he was being asked to play. No doubt at all that going forward, at times we looked full of options, but I really do think that at 2-0 we ought to have killed them off, with chances to increase the lead going begging. This is, of course probably ultra critical, but I do think that the first half suggested that it should have been an even more emphatic victory. I've also tried to take into account the heat which was oppressive, but still think we could have had an even more emphatic win - and it's against teams like Carlisle that we ought to be doing it. Overall verdict ; must do better.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... but his style of play and MT’s are as different as chalk and cheese. ...
So MT's now The Chalk? :)
(Thanks for the match report btw).

grecianfaniow

OK, thought Sparked and Jay would get a run out.
Jay came on im sure Stu Edited oops no it was tillson lol **** im going blind in my old age !

Last edited: