• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Shrewsbury Matchday Thread 28th Nov 2023. k.o. 7:45 and 9:45.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
In isolation not a "bad" result
I'm sorry to be a contrarian nigglesmith, but in isolation, this is a really poor result in any season. The only thing that makes it seem OKish is the expectations we've built up from a run of pure horror.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The club have dragged this out for so long, that eventually at some point we were going to face a really poor team - who'd travelled down on a cold Tuesday night - and come away with a point even though we once again did not score.

In isolation not a "bad" result but actually, it's yet another game without scoring and another game that isn't a win having lost by the worst margin since the 60s on Saturday.

Zero confidence in those running the show, put us in a terrible position.
Agree, If we win against Port Vale, Although very welcome but because of our bad form we have to continue to get more positive results, One win against PV then not picking up points further on would render that win "Useless" That bottom five or so teams are pretty close points wise and would only take one or two to go on a decent run then we'd be in the *****, Let's for gawds sake City are one of those teams that go on a good run but unlike those other teams atm we have no strike force to suddenly get a rich vein of form in the final third. Just a final note, When you write to Santa this year, If you haven't yet, say you've been very good and ask Santa to deliver a striker or two to City please, Even as a belated gift in January. :) (y)

simcity

The club have dragged this out for so long, that eventually at some point we were going to face a really poor team - who'd travelled down on a cold Tuesday night - and come away with a point even though we once again did not score.

In isolation not a "bad" result but actually, it's yet another game without scoring and another game that isn't a win having lost by the worst margin since the 60s on Saturday.

Zero confidence in those running the show, put us in a terrible position.
Considering we usually lose 1-0 when we play poor sides on a Tuesday night a 0-0 is a fantastic result :ROFLMAO:

denzel

I'm sorry to be a contrarian nigglesmith, but in isolation, this is a really poor result in any season. The only thing that makes it seem OKish is the expectations we've built up from a run of pure horror.
Yes, its a poor result not because of their league position but their injuries, with another one in the first half today, and the fact that, unlike us, they have a game on Friday night so getting a point for them was the best they could ever hope for

zeefour

From an occasional but fairly long standing supporter (for various reasons), I was at the game last night. A draw was probably a fair result but it was so dull - although City did look better at the start of the second half. A City team short on confidence, guile and cutting edge (certainly compared to a game I saw last season under Matt Taylor). I know some key players have gone but it just didn't look like City would ever score. Some players really gave their all and a couple were on their knees at the end, genuinely gutted it seemed. I thought Exeter lacked pace as well (aside from the keeper!) I agree with someone that said they tried hard. But it wasn't enough. Few raised voices outside the Bank last night which showed a division between those who understandably thought it was pretty poor and a couple of guys shouting back. The solution isn't "working harder", it's having that pace, plus more creativity (lots of crosses into the box but rarely high quality and nearly always found a Shrewsbury player) and of course a decent striker. And of course confidence is low. Brilliant free kick though, that deserved a goal!!

andrew p long

I don't understand why they don't let him have a go at centre-forward. Can't do any worse than the previous experiments.
I suspect it's because he's best with the ball at his feet running at defenders. Playing centre forward in this line up means having your back to goal against two big centre halves, while the ball is hit into the sky toward you. However, we've tried everything else!

grecian ern

another problem, who's going to get 'goal of the month', the swindon player?

another problem, who's going to get 'goal of the month', the swindon player?
That goal was awarded to Yanic in the end, so confirmed winner 🏆

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
To the Caldwell defenders, Lets be in no doubt, the only difference last night was how poor Shrewsbury where. Any half competent side would have beaten us last night. If this is the point to build from them the bar has been set pretty low. I cannot see us getting anything at Port Vale. Time for Caldwell to go. Poor appointment from the outset.

Grecianman135

To the Caldwell defenders, Lets be in no doubt, the only difference last night was how poor Shrewsbury where. Any half competent side would have beaten us last night. If this is the point to build from them the bar has been set pretty low. I cannot see us getting anything at Port Vale. Time for Caldwell to go. Poor appointment from the outset.
Tend to agree,it's only because Shews are equally as bad as us that we didn't lose,Vale will be harder to get anything out of and a draw or loss there and Gary should be gone,he should now but won't...

(Also side note those stewards last night trying to evict people for banners and anti caldwell items shame on you! everyone has a right to their own opinion and if the stewards have been told to "evict troublemakers" then the board need to publicly come out and say why Caldwell out banners are so "offensive" as on no grounds does that warrant eviction and probably an attempt by the club to remove any negativity..

Absolute joke,and pathetic of the club to try and sweep the mess they made under the carpet,the club have now started to create a huge divide similar if not worse than Tisdale's last few years,and only a year and a bit in...

For Gary's own mental health he's better off walking as it's going to get much worse before it gets any better.

Last edited: