• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City V Newport County Match Day -Boxing Day Thread.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
My City wishes for the New Year off the back of my head.
1) Ajose comes back fully fit and raring to go and gets into double figures by the end of the season.
2) We can stay injury free.
3) We get a real bonanza from a bidding war for Ollie and pick up four to five million ready for our ( hopefully ) coming L1 season. So stay injury free Ollie for your sake and ours and keep those goals coming.
4 Ginger Doyle gets recalled by Bradford from Swindon and their goals start to dry up. Oh and their other high scoring loanee gets recalled too while we’re at it.
5) Ginger has a paddy on being recalled and fails to score many for Bradford. Or alternatively they accept a bid from a team outside our league for him. Either way both our rivals lose their goals.
6) We can hold on to our own players in the window. No Stockley like bids please.

IndoMike

1) Ajose comes back fully fit and raring to go and gets into double figures by the end of the season.
3) We get a real bonanza from a bidding war for Ollie and pick up four to five million ready for our ( hopefully ) coming L1 season. So stay injury free Ollie for your sake and ours and keep those goals coming.
4 Ginger Doyle gets recalled by Bradford from Swindon and their goals start to dry up. Oh and their other high scoring loanee gets recalled too while we’re at it.
5) Ginger has a paddy on being recalled and fails to score many for Bradford. Or alternatively they accept a bid from a team outside our league for him. Either way both our rivals lose their goals.
6) We can hold on to our own players in the window. No Stockley like bids please.
7) City sign Doyle

CityTillIDie

Thought it was a highly entertaining game in contrast to what some people have said. Despite the score line there was plenty to cheer and sing about! Thought the team were professional and deserved at least one more goal. Well done all the city fans who were behind the team the full 90 minutes, atmosphere was great! Second in the league and a good result.

Banksy

7) City sign Doyle
Now that would really annoy Swindon! But we won’t need him with Ajose firing will we so why use any of Ollie’s millions for that!

Red Devon

Can’t afford to lose our supply line losing Williams would be a big blow to us...fingers crossed it won’t happen 🤞

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wonder what our Paul would have had to say if he'd have had to play on that surface.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
7) City sign Doyle
No point. He could not play for us this season as he has already played for Bradford.

Alistair20000

A small point relating to the sodden ground.

Looking at things from the NGS, lino was squelching though mud on the line closest to the away end while there was virgin turf on the line leading up to the Big Bank. Opposite on the IPS side of course.

Why not alternate ? Or is there some rigid rule on this ?

CC

First time I'd seen us play this season and I was impressed. It wasn't a game where lots of slick football was going to be played and both teams played the percentages, but our goal was from a proper move and there were a couple of other times where the build up was excellent but the final through ball or cross just wasn't executed well enough to give a clear sight of goal. I don't remember Newport creating anything apart from set pieces and a couple of knock downs that they picked up.
I still had kittens every back pass to the keeper but his kicking was good (certainly better than their keeper!) and AM and Parkes got rid when needed but also looked to play it out when they could.
We seemed to be more streetwise than I remember with physical opponents not bullying us for once, and 'good fouls' being given away when necessary. I thought the ref seemed keen on penalising us for anything in the last 10 minutes but we were strong and deserved the win.
Nigel Atangana was superb and was a ball magnet. He was excellent in the air and also showed a great touch when he did have the ball on the deck, giving a masterclass in giving a 5 yard pass when it was the best option. It wasn't really a day for the tricky ball players but Williams, Law and L Martin kept them on the back foot with Martin especially showing great energy. Bowman kept the defence busy, Taylor was good, Sweeney was mostly ok with just a couple of chips straight out of play and Sparkes was excellent, especially in the 2nd half. His injury looked very worrying, I really hope it isn't too bad.
It seemed to me to be the type of game we'd previously have lost, and to get nearly 6k there with weather as awful as yesterday's was is very encouraging. Now a point at Colchester and I'd be very happy.

CC

A small point relating to the sodden ground.

Looking at things from the NGS, lino was squelching though mud on the line closest to the away end while there was virgin turf on the line leading up to the Big Bank. Opposite on the IPS side of course.

Why not alternate ? Or is there some rigid rule on this ?
I said this before the game - surely as long as there is one either side it shouldn't matter that much?!