• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City & Plymouth Argyle rivalry

Doug P

Is it not just a chase that we love to Hate them, and our only chance of beating them again this season is in the FA Cup or the Devon bowl like last season.

Now that makes me smile. :yesyes: :)

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would love to draw Argyle in the Cup. Home Park would be a preference. Just imagine 5,000 City fans packing that whole end (FA Cup rules on ticket alloctaion permitting). There would be a full ground, no doubt about that. The atmosphere would be something else. And when Flacky nods itin with 2 mnutes to go, in front of the travelling fans = better than 0-0 at Old Trafford x1000.

grecIAN Harris

Rivalry still lives. It might not be as visable as it used to be but it's still as strong. How many of you cheer when the Argyle results comes through and they're losing? I do and so do those around me at The Park. How many of you p!ss yourself laughing when it comes through that they are getting a right stuffing? I do and so do those around me at The Park. How many of you if you are competing yourself at anything want to stuff the opposition just because they're from Plymouth? I know I did and still would if the opportunity was to arise again.
When the time comes that we will be playing Argyle again the passion and commitment that comes with the rivalry will be just as strong, from both sides, as it ever was. If you think otherwise, you're either not old enough to have felt it or you're a mug. The rivalry will never die, just doze for a while. :yesyes:

wozzer

Grecian Max said:
Bobby Williamson, on theother hand, has no-where near the amount of managerial strengths as Sturrock. Yes he's gone and brought in some big name players, from big name clubs. But they all cost money - he must of spent at least £800,000+ while charge of Plymouth. He favours old players, over youth. It *could* be the downfall of PAFC. They've spent a lot, and while I'm not saying they'll go bust, if they don't succeed and get relegated, they'll have to operate on a much tighter budget. While Williamson is in charge, I can't see Argyle going anywhere.

Some strange figures there and way off the mark.

Buzasky cost around about £300,000
Chadwick cost £100,000
Taylor cost £100,000.

We got £100,000 for Friio.
£100,000 for Crawford.

Ok my figures are approx but I make that a debit of £200,000. Now add our TV money Everton game, Average crowd of 16,000 when they budget for 12,000 and our money for just being in the Championship. That puts us into a healthy profit.

wozzer

Grecian Max said:
I would love to draw Argyle in the Cup. Home Park would be a preference. Just imagine 5,000 City fans packing that whole end (FA Cup rules on ticket alloctaion permitting). There would be a full ground, no doubt about that. The atmosphere would be something else. And when Flacky nods itin with 2 mnutes to go, in front of the travelling fans = better than 0-0 at Old Trafford x1000.
5,000 city fans. LMFAO. Yoyu didn't manage to sell 1800 when we last played you in the league and most of them left just after half time.

Grecian Max

wozzer said:
Grecian Max said:
5,000 city fans. LMFAO. Yoyu didn't manage to sell 1800 when we last played you in the league and most of them left just after half time.
Ah, but the Jokes on you. Because that was on a Tuesday night , and we sold our allocation given to us, as it was a LEAGUE game. FA Cup allocation is different - ie we'd get more tickets than league by someway - see Man U games - 9,000 tickets in the FA Cup, on usual league matches only 3,000. We would easily sell 5,000 tickets.

Since we've been in the Conference, our support has remained at the same level, while I would say our away support has signifcantly increased. An FA Cup versus Plymouth would be a must-see match and as such we'd bring 5,000. I love the way Argyle fans such as yourself reckon you can take the ****, when a couple of seasons, and it could all go wong. When it does I'll laugh. Where were the other 15,000 Argyle "fans" when you were in Division 3?

Grecian Max

wozzer said:
Grecian Max said:
Bobby Williamson, on theother hand, has no-where near the amount of managerial strengths as Sturrock. Yes he's gone and brought in some big name players, from big name clubs. But they all cost money - he must of spent at least £800,000+ while charge of Plymouth. He favours old players, over youth. It *could* be the downfall of PAFC. They've spent a lot, and while I'm not saying they'll go bust, if they don't succeed and get relegated, they'll have to operate on a much tighter budget. While Williamson is in charge, I can't see Argyle going anywhere.

Chadwick cost £100,000
Taylor cost £100,000.

£100,000 for Crawford.

Ok my figures are approx but I make that a debit of £200,000. Now add our TV money Everton game, Average crowd of 16,000 when they budget for 12,000 and our money for just being in the Championship. That puts us into a healthy profit.
I'll apoligise for those figures - I was just guessing. To be honest I don't really take an interest in Argyle right down to financial records.

I find it interesting that you haven't highlighted and disagreed about Williamson. THE man to lead you into League 1 and beyond. Argyle's sucessful period is over, you struck it lucky with a decent manager, to find yourself where you are. If he came to us, it could have been Exeter in the Championship. Look at Sheffield Wednesday.

wozzer

Grecian Max said:
wozzer said:
Grecian Max said:
Ah, but the Jokes on you. Because that was on a Tuesday night , and we sold our allocation given to us, as it was a LEAGUE game. FA Cup allocation is different - ie we'd get more tickets than league by someway - see Man U games - 9,000 tickets in the FA Cup, on usual league matches only 3,000. We would easily sell 5,000 tickets.

Since we've been in the Conference, our support has remained at the same level, while I would say our away support has signifcantly increased. An FA Cup versus Plymouth would be a must-see match and as such we'd bring 5,000. I love the way Argyle fans such as yourself reckon you can take the ****, when a couple of seasons, and it could all go wong. When it does I'll laugh. Where were the other 15,000 Argyle "fans" when you were in Division 3?
Sorry to correct you once more fella but you didn't sell your allocation. Tuesday night it was but what does that matter when you are only 42 miles away ?

wozzer

Grecian Max said:
wozzer said:
Grecian Max said:

Chadwick cost £100,000
Taylor cost £100,000.

£100,000 for Crawford.

I'll apoligise for those figures - I was just guessing. To be honest I don't really take an interest in Argyle right down to financial records.

I find it interesting that you haven't highlighted and disagreed about Williamson. THE man to lead you into League 1 and beyond. Argyle's sucessful period is over, you struck it lucky with a decent manager, to find yourself where you are. If he came to us, it could have been Exeter in the Championship. Look at Sheffield Wednesday.
Just to keep you informed about our finances.

Another £60,000 in the kitty due to Sky showing our home game against Millwall.

Grecian Max

wozzer said:
Grecian Max said:
wozzer said:
Grecian Max said:

Sorry to correct you once more fella but you didn't sell your allocation. Tuesday night it was but what does that matter when you are only 42 miles away ?
What you also fail to mention is that we were right down the bottom of the league, while you were top. People were expecting a pasting. Which it was. Different cirumstances, different times now. Now its our club (well supposedly...), the support away from has increased. We're a club on the up, and we would bring 5,000+. Thats a fact.