• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City & Plymouth Argyle rivalry

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The rivalry will always be there. It never just dies. Just because they're 3 leagues ahead at the minute, means nothing. Argyle have had a good run due to their former manger, Paul Sturrock. Sturrock was an excellent manager for them, and they wouldn't be in the Championship if it wasn't for him.

Bobby Williamson, on theother hand, has no-where near the amount of managerial strengths as Sturrock. Yes he's gone and brought in some big name players, from big name clubs. But they all cost money - he must of spent at least £800,000+ while charge of Plymouth. He favours old players, over youth. It *could* be the downfall of PAFC. They've spent a lot, and while I'm not saying they'll go bust, if they don't succeed and get relegated, they'll have to operate on a much tighter budget. While Williamson is in charge, I can't see Argyle going anywhere.

Remember this - if in the possible scenario, that we go up (I believe we will), and the possible scenario that Argyle go down (the Championship is looking stronger than ever this coming season), then we would only be one league behind them. Their "star" players would move on, and within 12 months they aren't so much light-years ahead - they would be in touching distance.

Football goes round in circles. We fell on hard times,while at the same time Plymouth, Yeovil, and to some extent Torquay entered their most successful era ever. Nothing last forever, and you just watch, give it 3/4/5 years and we'll be playing Plymouth and Yeovil in a league match, while Torquay will be a lower half Conefernce side. Argyle will be back to their old gates of 5,000, and suddenly we're back and people will realise the rivalry is as strong as ever.
Yeah, so basically I'm always right. Read it and weep naysayers!

Last edited: