• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Contract Extensions

Grecianpasty

What a difference Sonny and Cheick have made to the team since they started playing regularly. Really hope we can get them signed up for next season, although if they keep up their current form, I fear we may not be able to compete with the potential wages on offer.
Would love for them both to sign. I feel as though both will already have pre contract offers from clubs higher up the food chain, and rightly so.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would love for them both to sign. I feel as though both will already have pre contract offers from clubs higher up the food chain, and rightly so.
this article says that players in England out of contract in the summer can only start talking to other English clubs a month before their contracts expire which (if correct) would rule out formal pre contract offers. But you're right that clubs will speak to players agents in January to indicate what may be on offer come the summer. The best selling point for us with Sonny and Cheikh is the argument that ECFC is the best place for them to develop in the next 12 months - getting them an even bigger and better move in the future.

Colesman Ballz

We should be offering both a 3 year mininum contract extension with a substantial increase starting right now (a "bird in the hand" if you will ). Both have the potential to go on to have good careers, and eventually move on for substantial transfer fees. It is a far better investment than shelling out large loan fees or bringing in players on short term contracts.

AndyR

We should be offering both a 3 year mininum contract extension with a substantial increase starting right now (a "bird in the hand" if you will ). Both have the potential to go on to have good careers, and eventually move on for substantial transfer fees. It is a far better investment than shelling out large loan fees or bringing in players on short term contracts.
(y)Totally agree. We can start building a side around them.

Boyo

Agree. However, if I were Sonny or Cheikh then signing a three year deal isn't what I'd want. I'd want a max of two years as that gives the opportunity to step up a level without the tie of being contracted after two years and making it easier to leave in the last 12 months of the contract.

Therein lies the problem, I suspect.

red1

Anyone know how bad Sonny’s injury was ?

fred binneys head

Anyone know how bad Sonny’s injury was ?
He was interviewed by Craig afterwards and it wasn't mentioned, so I assume it was nothing.

andrew p long

Agree. However, if I were Sonny or Cheikh then signing a three year deal isn't what I'd want. I'd want a max of two years as that gives the opportunity to step up a level without the tie of being contracted after two years and making it easier to leave in the last 12 months of the contract.

Therein lies the problem, I suspect.
Indeed. Both will have seen what happened to Josh Key after he signed a 2.5 year contract with City. He had a stellar spell soon thereafter resulting in bids in successive transfer windows from (IIRC) Sunderland and Blackburn. City turned those offers down. And then Josh's form dropped off a bit (particularly when played out of position!). For a while it looked as if his chance of a big money move to a much bigger club might evaporate *because he'd signed a lengthy contract with ECFC*

I'm sure the agents for the best young City players will advise them against signing contracts that they tie them down for too long. They will want either shorter contracts than 3 years or a release clause.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The three most important extensions are Diabete Cox and Lee. 12 24 or 36 months whatever just get them signed on,

Kite and Hartridge a bit meh on. As much as I like Harry and he does good interviews he is now approaching 24 and is still not a regular in the team, Alex whilst he is one of our own and comes over as a nice guy I always feel there is a mistake in him, on his day can be brilliant but too often misfiring.

otterton reds

The three most important extensions are Diabete Cox and Lee. 12 24 or 36 months whatever just get them signed on,

Kite and Hartridge a bit meh on. As much as I like Harry and he does good interviews he is now approaching 24 and is still not a regular in the team, Alex whilst he is one of our own and comes over as a nice guy I always feel there is a mistake in him, on his day can be brilliant but too often misfiring.
I think Harry Lee is only 19