• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Oxford Utd Matchday Thread

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
And yet not a single City player complained about the decision. If pro footballers don’t complain to the ref about a decision you can be absolutely certain he got it right.
Really? We have had a few cards for dissent recently, maybe we have been told not to protest, as the ref won't change his mind anyway.
Unless he's David Rock.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360

hillview red

For the final time...

Sinisalo - Excellent as usual with one final Match of the Day highlight reel save in the first half. Loved how he tried to get in Brannagan's head for the pen. Not to be but he went the right way. We'll undoubtedly miss him but am hopeful that finding another top flight youngster won't be too hard (if Lee's not quite ready)

Aimson - Felt for him. Am guessing that he was moved to the right hand side to go up against the rapid Murphy and by and large he did his job well (aside from the penalty). Think he's better in the middle of a 3 but he played a great 40 yard cross field ball second half from which Ilmari nearly scored. Could have scored in the second half which would have put him clear as second top scorer I think.

Sweeney - Am guessing he played centrally as GC thought his lack of pace would be exposed by Murphy. Mistake for the first goal but it happens to the best. If we want to progress next year, I think Sweeney may end up being more of a squad player as I think he struggles defensively against the better teams.

Jules - Played well I thought. Strong and generally good on the ball. With his size and build an hoping we can get some set piece goals out of him next year.

Watts - Hmmm... Jury is still out for me. Fitness concerns aside, I'm not sure what he is and I'm not sure what position he'd say was his best. He clearly has a little burst of pace and is quite good technically but not sure he's got a particular strength that would strike fear into opponents. Not fussed if he stays or goes.

Niskanen - Boy does he work hard. If he could improve technically and had end product he'd be in the championship in a shot. Love the fact that he's versatile positionally and seems like a great team player.

Carroll - People call him a sideways merchant but if you look closely there's alot more incisive reverse passes played and he knits things together so well. I know everyone raves about Woods and agree he potentially offers more going forward but the extra ground that Carroll covers is more important than many realise I fear. I'm not sure we missed Woods as much as others have said, it was more a case of a wrong set-up and Cox/Alli being a little lost first half.

Cole - A strangely subdued performance. Lots of little misplaced moments which explains I think, why GC doesn't play him in the 6 role often. You have to be so good technically and be super precise and occasionally Reece can be sloppy. However... Great first season and a real find.

Harris - He may lose control at times but he works UNBELIEVABLY hard and love his tenacity. Really hope he comes back. If he does, we'll lose him in January as he'll have 10 goals and 10 assists by then.

Cox - Sadly looked lost in the new system that didn't work. He has come on leaps and bounds this season and so pleased to see him get a run. My only concern is again about position... He doesn't feel like a true 9 or 10 so it will be interesting to see how he develops.

Alli - Awful first half, better second half. Both he and Sonny suffered in the new system but looked better second half and scored a good header. Look forward to a full season of Alli and it'll be interesting to see how his partnership with Aitchson grows.

Subs

Aitchson - lively and picked up good pockets of space causing Oxford midfielders and defenders problems. Hope he can improve his numbers next year (G + A)

Rankine - Raheem Rankine was lively yesterday. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up next year and long term. I have a sneaky feeling he might be back next year but we'll have to see. Another one who needs to improve their numbers.

Kite - Great to see him on the pitch with the captain's armbands and given man of the match. If I'm being brutally honest... He was miles off it yesterday but that's understandable with the lack of minutes. Very grateful for his service and wish him well wherever he ends up.

Ultimately, a disappointing loss to end but it doesn't overshadow an excellent end of season. A fascinating transfer window to come and then off we go again. Playoffs next year? UTC.

STURTZ

Good comments HR but where was Raheem Rankine playing?

Red Bill

Actually it is the fifth highest ever. In three consecutive seasons from 1978/9 we finished 9th, 8th and 11th, then under the Cheese we also recorded an 8th place finish although that had followed a last day escape from relegation and preceded being relegated 12 months later !
Hmm, afraid I don't agree with your pedantry here CB. We've finished 8th, 9th 11th and now 13th. It's still the 4th highest position we've finished in. This isn't a competition where places are handed out, just because we've finished 8th twice doesn't mean that 13th isn't the fourth highest position we've finished in.

grecIAN Harris

Good comments HR but where was Raheem Rankine playing?
Maybe it's a comparison to Raheem Sterling, all show but no final product????

Squeezebox

Sorry if I've missed it but was Cheick injured yesterday?

Colesman Ballz

Sorry if I've missed it but was Cheick injured yesterday?
Yes, he sustained an injury in training during the week.

ryancooper327

Glad someone said that about Kite, was woeful when he came on! Thanks for everything but cheerio.

Bridgy 81

Glad someone said that about Kite, was woeful when he came on! Thanks for everything but cheerio.
That is exceptionally and unnecessary harsh, in my opinion.
Even if being that dismissive of what he’s done for us somehow makes you feel it’s appropriate to denigrate him.
Harry has been a dedicated and decent player for us.
I wish him all the best even if you apparently don’t.