• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City V Chiefs V Trust V Outside Money etc

Chuckles

I cannot believe how bitter some of the people on here are. Throwing their toys out of their pram because Chiefs have built a good team and a great system for building revenue outside of matchdays. The chiefs are bringing the World Cup to Exeter next year, great for the city of Exeter and it will be best standard of sport to come to the city in a few years!
It's rugby for heaven sake...run and catch...exercise for the obese....the ground is outside the City....at least it keeps ugly women away from the City centre on match days

Last edited:
It's rugby for heaven sake...run and catch...exercise for the obese....the ground is outside the City....at least it keeps ugly women away from the City centre on match days
The way the rugby club is run should be a role model for ECFC, unfortunately most involved with ECFC have a similar intelligence level of you.

Chuckles

The way the rugby club is run should be a role model for ECFC, unfortunately most involved with ECFC have a similar intelligence level of you.
It's a joke you complete tw@t.

"a similar intelligence level of you". You are priceless, although I would guess you don't earn much.

It's a joke you complete tw@t.

"a similar intelligence level of you". You are priceless, although I would guess you don't earn much.
ROFL, one is indeed amused.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks RW. That's all very interesting.

Back on topic, and in reply to EXE, I dont think all city fans are so negative towards the chiefs. Some people are just clouded by jealousy and/or their dislike of rugby. Ecfc could learn a lot from the rugby club and closer links would hurt no one. People are also quick to forget how many local businesses we screwed over. You make your own luck in business.
Well said. I believe some City fans may well be pleased with the Chiefs success as it puts our fair City on the sporting map throughout the British Isles and Europe. However, I imagine they've learned to keep their opinions to themselves just in case some rugby hating mouthbreather takes a pop at them.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really? With a single individual calling all the shots? What happens when he's no longer around and his son and heir decides he doesn't much like rugby. Our model is a better one it just needs a bit of fine tuning.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really? With a single individual calling all the shots? What happens when he's no longer around and his son and heir decides he doesn't much like rugby. Our model is a better one it just needs a bit of fine tuning.
There is just as much chance for someone else to come along.

Sorry, the trust USED to be good, but not anymore, as it fails to look after its members and/or fanbase.

I don't pretend to fully understand the complexity of the Trust (as with many I'm sure), it needs more than fine tuning. As a simple person (as Chuckles pointed out) I want to know what is going on at SJP and where the money is going . I do not know who controls ECFC, from here it looks like a ship without a captain. Every successful business needs a strong leader and we have nobody in my humble opinion, who really has the authority to give Tisdale a bollocking?

The rugby club has great relationships with local businesses that offer real help, they use these to help shape the business and plan to grow (recent bond issue as an example). The club is making a profit, the off field activities bring in a huge portion of it's income and this is down to planning from the very respectable board they have. So if or when Mr Rowe has had enough I'm sure they will have more interest than if a for sale sign was at SJP.

People have stopped attending ECFC for many reasons, one is quality of football but just as important if a Trust owned club you need to appear to have some kind of leadership. Mr Rowe has built a successful premiership club than makes money and has great facilities. We have a council owned ground, no plans to develop SJP, pay rent to the our directors, centre spot is a mess, a manager on a overpaid 2 year rolling contract we can't afford to sack and nobody who appears to be in charge.

So Egg from the above I'd rather have a single owner who has money, leadership skills, ability to plan and the backbone to get rid of people that are useless. I'm sure you disagree but I struggle to think of one real benefit of the Trust from here (maybe it's PR but the Trust looks weak and pointless to me).

UTC

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
It pains me that you might actually believe what you post.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
All models have their pros and cons. The situation that we find ourselves in now after a decade of Trust ownership is one where the failings of the Trust model are laid bare. The comparison with the rugby club or any club headed by someone like Tony Rowe highlights what they have that we desperately need: leadership. I'm well aware, as any football fan will be, of all the instances, our own club included, of the mismanagement by single owners, but when they get it right they have a dynamism, vision and powerful leadership that the Trust model will never have, with all its subcommittees. This isn't to say that I don't think Laurence is the right person to be Trust chair, just that no Trust chair will ever have the backing needed (due to Trust member apathy) to make the big decisions at ECFC: cutting non-playing costs, serving notice on Tis' rolling contract, redevelopment ... and that's not even touching on more "minor" issues like Tis' gestures to fans, players (mis)use of social media, conflicts of interest within the club, commercial dept and directors' roles, responsibilities and targets, transparency etc etc.