• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City V Chiefs V Trust V Outside Money etc

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks. Who would know out of interest? OTR and the Council?
Nothing to do with the Council - I'm talking about the lease of the St. James' Centre, not the lease of the ground. Roger Conway seemed to be the Board member with the greatest involvement.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
As the option (if any) would be between the Club and OTR, the Club and its controlling shareholder the Trust should know.
I doubt very much if Trustees had any knowledge of the details of this Roger.

cityregular

I find posts such as this one really distasteful – not to mention unhelpful.

I was on the Trust board in the summer of 2003 when the club was on the brink of extinction and have no doubt whatsoever that were it not for the involvement of Julian and others we would not have a club today.

Of course, that does not make him immune from criticism – and Taggy will know that better than anyone – but, please, stop spouting such uninformed vile and venom.

Julian is one of 10 people on the board of OTR. Has it not crossed your mind that were it not for the involvement of him, and one or two of the others on that list, that we might be paying an awful lot more in rent?

I'm not pretending everything at the club is perfect, far from it, but posts such as yours are completely unwarranted.
I- for a layman--- find this whole thread rather confusing--can we get a legal view on all this (without the usual c--p)
If you read#63 there are 2or 3 names on there filling their wallets---these 2or3 names have an interest on the survival of ECFC
but are forced to 'borrow' money (OUR MONEY) from the Trust----can this be right?

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I doubt very much if Trustees had any knowledge of the details of this Roger.
This seems a big decision on which the controlling shareholder should have been consulted.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
This seems a big decision on which the controlling shareholder should have been consulted.
I totally agree, but that's the way it is - the sheep aren't consulted, they're always told (or not) after the event.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
As a follow up to post 115 Roger, I tried to change things on redevelopment whilst on the BOS. I wasn't backed by Trustees - hence I left on principle.

motorservices

I- for a layman--- find this whole thread rather confusing--can we get a legal view on all this (without the usual c--p)
If you read#63 there are 2or 3 names on there filling their wallets---these 2or3 names have an interest on the survival of ECFC
but are forced to 'borrow' money (OUR MONEY) from the Trust----can this be right?

Very good question, i have heard of companies becoming LTD then giving themselfs massive pay rises, when the bank forces admin they walk away with large bank accounts, its wrong and needs to be stopped

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I guess my point was as to whether it could be a stumbling block to redevelopment going ahead should the club situation change re: (1) the price or (2) the leverage it might give OTR over redevelopment. Perhaps I'm being too cynical.

Fever,

These are excellent points and I have given them much further consideration (as with all things redevelopment related I like to look at it from all angles).

My initial point that an option to buy at a specific price ought to have been included in the lease of the St. James’ Centre is still the most salient, and if this was not done then IMO those directors responsible should be hauled over the coals for gross negligence.

However, if it was not done, does this give OTR more leverage? I believe the answer is ‘not necessarily’ and I say this for the following reasons:-

1. Football fans and the general public have had access to all sides of the St. James’ Centre, and indeed all OTR owned land since it was bought by OTR in the 1990’s. Consequently a prescriptive right of way has been established in that period. OTR would not be able to dispense with that prescriptive right of way if it sold the St. James’ Centre to any other body. (Would you like everyone wandering through your garden?)

2. The awkwardness/narrowness of the shape of the land (stretching from St. James’ Road through Red Square and down to Stadium Way) effectively precludes it from being used for anything other than the current purpose.

3. I believe OTR originally owned most of Stadium Way. However, when the housing scheme was undertaken, the Council adopted the road. Therefore OTR lost control of this land, presumably up to the gates at the entrance to Red Square.

4. If OTR sold the St. James’ Centre for another purpose surely it would have to be demolished and rebuilt. Demolition costs would be substantial (in addition to the £800k purchase price) and there would also be much remedial work where it joins the back of the Flybe Stand. Any other body purchasing this building would also know that they were doing so against the wishes of football fans – not a good idea!

5. The way that OTR is set up, I’m told that there has to be unanimity of agreement on all major decisions. I believe that Peter Carter has been a dissenting voice in the past in not agreeing to sell to us, but that is not now the case. I’m sure there would be many more dissenting voices if some suggested selling to any other body - so making such a transaction impossible.

6. The fact that the Club has already ploughed so much money into the refurbishment of St. James’ Centre surely puts pressure on OTR to only deal with the Club (or preferably Trust).

EXE

I cannot believe how bitter some of the people on here are. Throwing their toys out of their pram because Chiefs have built a good team and a great system for building revenue outside of matchdays. The chiefs are bringing the World Cup to Exeter next year, great for the city of Exeter and it will be best standard of sport to come to the city in a few years!

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks RW. That's all very interesting.

Back on topic, and in reply to EXE, I dont think all city fans are so negative towards the chiefs. Some people are just clouded by jealousy and/or their dislike of rugby. Ecfc could learn a lot from the rugby club and closer links would hurt no one. People are also quick to forget how many local businesses we screwed over. You make your own luck in business.