• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Chris Weale departs

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not forgetting our obligations to all the aspiring keepers in the Academy and the Women's team's. Keepers have always had a bit of a reputation for being odd buggers too, just to complicate the picture further ! :$

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
We dont need a dedicated GK coach, particularly at our level; A waste of money. You cant coach a keeper like you can a bunch of outfield players. I dont understand how a coach in that department works anyway, particularly when according to the OS article, Weale was a trainee himself? He was learning the ropes (whatever that might entail) FFS.
Great woosh Pete, you're reeling em in with this one. How's things going in your role as goalkeeping coach at Paul Mariner's Clinic in Scottsdale BTW ?

J-Han

I try not to be insulting on public forums, but sometimes it's soooo hard. You make yourself sound like a total tit with comments like these. There is a dedicated FA GK coaching qualification at levels 1 through 4, the last of which is equivalent to a UEFA A licence. Do you think they run them just for a laugh? Or maybe goalkeepers just get better on their own? I'm not saying Weale was particularly good or bad as I have no idea regarding his skill level, but it is a necessary and important position within any professional football club and your suggestion that it's not important, at a time when we'll be bringing in at least two new goalkeepers is, quite frankly, ludicrous.
Oh, Ash. You did the hard work for him! (rofl)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'm worried Clive Pring will leave : he might think the grass is greener on the other side.
It's currently not very green down the A38

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
People leaving isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's not like we've had great success with these people in place.

Our injuries last year were as bad as I can remember. I'm not saying we'd have had less injuries with different physios and an S&C coach but it won't be any worse.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
It's currently not very green down the A38

Who are they ripping off for this one ?

DB9

Can't see the problem with people moving, It seems on here people think behind the scenes aren't good, People move on in every job, It just happens for many reasons, Financial, Personal etc It's because we as fans think working for ECFC in some aspect would be a dream job, But those who do work there in the most aren't fans, It's just a job

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Just noticed that sign on the pitch picture " Beware of flying footballs " more chance of hitting a supporter than the back of the net.

Grecian2K

Just noticed that sign on the pitch picture " Beware of flying footballs " more chance of hitting a supporter than the back of the net.
And that's just from back-passes!

citylad60

hope this helps, taken from the yeovil site,

Former Yeovil Town goalkeeper Chris Weale has announced that he is leaving League Two side Exeter City. The 37 year old had been their first team Goalkeeper Coach, having left Dorchester Town to take up the role at St James Park last summer. However, he has made a personal decision to resign from his post, believing it was hampering the amount of time he was able to spend with his family.

Weale has written to Chairman Julian Tagg to explain why he was leaving the Devon club, adding that he would stay there for long enough for the Grecians to recruit his successor, along with any summer transfers they wished to bring in for new goalkeepers:

"I just wanted to thank you for the opportunity of being part of this fantastic club over this season. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here and developing my skills and, hopefully, I have had a positive influence on not only the group but the squad overall. However, during the season the time commitment has put a strain on my family and on reflection, and giving it a lot of consideration, I will be leaving my position as first-team goalkeeping coach. I have spoken to (first team manager) Matt (Taylor) and I will stay and support the club's recruitment of the first team goalkeeping coach and goalkeepers however Matt sees fit. Thank you again for the opportunity to work at such a fantastic football club."

Weale hasn't revealed whether he intends to stay within the footballing industry, but presumably would favour something that kept him in the local Somerset or North Dorset area.