• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
On Tuesday there were one or two forward balls as well as the usual sideways and back passes, even one I think that was reminiscent of a Cole through ball. Slight improvements each time as his confidence grows, the player will be a giant, thank you Stevenage

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Absolutely love Cheick, what a monster of a centre half.

This is one contract that worries me and see this as of vital importance if we really want to progress as a club as I think he could form the bedrock of our defence for the next few years.

There were a few clubs interested in Cheick prior to his injuries and they have started circling again given his resurgence. Hopefully we've exercised the option in his contract and then at the end of the season, we sit down with him and re-negotiate anyway on much better terms and that way hopefully we can keep him for another 3 or so years before he inevitably leaves as he enters his prime.

Haven't had this much confidence in a young defender's ability since Jordan Storey and that one felt like a real sucker punch after we only had him for 20 odd senior appearances. I know Cheick has already surpassed that but I'd love him to make 125-175 appearances for the club and then leave at 24/25 for a decent fee.

budegrecian

On Tuesday there were one or two forward balls as well as the usual sideways and back passes, even one I think that was reminiscent of a Cole through ball. Slight improvements each time as his confidence grows, the player will be a giant, thank you Stevenage
Agree. The only thing currently missing is the odd goal or two, from a corner or set piece, that we saw in league two.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree. The only thing currently missing is the odd goal or two, from a corner or set piece, that we saw in league two.
We need to put the ball in the box for that... 😆*

*I know this improved on Tuesday, only a joke.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
when does Cheikh's contract run out? The latest I can find is

my recollection is that it was subsequently 'extended' but only to the end of this season ie summer 2024 (so only equivalent duration to exercising the option) . Is that right?

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
when does Cheikh's contract run out? The latest I can find is

my recollection is that it was subsequently 'extended' but only to the end of this season ie summer 2024 (so only equivalent duration to exercising the option) . Is that right?
Hopefully that meant that the contract was for the 2023-2024 season and the club option is for the 2024-2025 season which means we would have him for next season.

Seems like Exiled Grecian may have some knowledge on this?

Leads

I know Cheick has already surpassed that but I'd love him to make 125-175 appearances for the club and then leave at 24/25 for a decent fee.
Very specific! I'd be cautious about looking too far ahead- at one stage last season he was looking like he had the potential to perhaps step up a level, then he could barely get a space on the bench. Now he's looking more solid, he still looks ropey on the ball to me and i think this will stop him progressing to the Championship, but I'm fine with that!

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Cheick is fine with the ball. He's been a mountain for weeks now.

People are thinking back to the promotion season, when he came in because of injuries, and he was a bit timid when the ball was at his feet.

Sign him up, and build a defence around him. Future captain.

Hopefully that meant that the contract was for the 2023-2024 season and the club option is for the 2024-2025 season which means we would have him for next season.

Seems like Exiled Grecian may have some knowledge on this?
No longer in a position where I can comment on this for certain, so that club article may well be correct, however, it would be strange for the club to have not announced it publicly when they took up Cheick's option if his contract does indeed end at the end of this season, even though as much would have been clear when he appeared on our Retain List at the end of last season. Very worrying if that is the case.

Very specific! I'd be cautious about looking too far ahead- at one stage last season he was looking like he had the potential to perhaps step up a level, then he could barely get a space on the bench. Now he's looking more solid, he still looks ropey on the ball to me and i think this will stop him progressing to the Championship, but I'm fine with that!
Only used those figures due to the fact that if he signed one more 2 year contract with us that had an option - that is an achievable threshold of games he could viably meet. I think his injuries/fitness played a part in his lack of involvement last season (and the start of this), coupled with the fact that he just didn't appear to be rated by GC, presumably for his preferred style of play. However, as a defender, I've never had any doubts in his ability and am convinced he could play Championship level as I said, I see a fair few similarities between him and Storey. He's got all the attributes that some managers value - athleticism, strength, commanding, as well as being a good 'head it and kick it' defender, I also think he's ok on the ball and he's shown he can come out on top of strikers who have played top level in their careers. May not suit an Enzo Maresca (Leicester) type style of football, but there are teams he could play for at Championship level that are/would be interested certainly.