• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheick Diabate

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would be very surprised if Cheick was going to sign even before his outburst on Saturday. He's been outstanding and despite people saying his distribution is awful he epitomises what a lot of clubs want, a brick out house, meat head, central defender. Yes he's made the odd mistake, but our improved form started when he came back from injury. I'm sure he can get much higher wages elsewhere and he might fancy a move back closer to London. The only thing that might make clubs nervous is how much a tribunal fee might cost, as he will only be 22 at the end of June. If he goes I think he will be a huge loss
I would love him to stay if only because that's one more gone from the promotion group and he has been with us for 5-6 years. However, he is easily replaceable not a huge loss - Collins, Key, Stanno, Nombe and McDonald were much bigger losses. Personally think like anyone of his age he wants to be playing regularly which I think he knows is open to debate with GC. I can see him signing for a L2 club or possibly a lower L1 team like Shrewsbury. I can't see him rocking up any higher unless it's like Sparkes as a squad player

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
He’s a good player at league 1 level , his distribution and ability on the ball he can work on, as a centre half is job is to keep the ball out our net , all this your centre backs have to play rubbish doesn’t apply in league 1 & 2, if they can head it , clear it , compete physically and have a bit of pace then thats job done…..

Im biased of course but watch Van Djik yesterday that man is unbelievable he’s got all the above and he can score goals and play 60 yard cross field passes….

those types come around once in a blue moon….we should be more than happy with Diabate IMO.

People have been brainwashed into thinking this “brand” “style” of play that Caldwell continues to want us all to believe in works…..it does if you have the players with the technical ability to do it, if you dont you adapt accordingly.

Ian Tarr

he is easily replaceable not a huge loss
Totally disagree with this.
If we play 3 at the back, he is nailed on for the central spot i m o.
With the other two we can maybe expect a little more quality distribution wise, but Cheick is adequate in this respect.
It seems people only want to dwell on a player's defects, and not his strengths. I've never understood this.

andrew p long

Regardless of the in's or outs of yesterday substitution his ultimate reaction will I fear have consequences and unless Sweenz is suspended Aimson will now I think become the central CB from now on. Seemed a bit like when Sprkes was subbed and look how that ended. I would rather he signed a new contrct but think he will be off
Oh gawd, surely not another one? Sparkes gone, Kite, Hartridge as good as gone and Diabate to follow? Cox improving in leaps and bounds when *not* playing for City but nothing like as well at SJP, a poor outcome re Lee's loan recall this season. It will be a big relief if Diabate, Cox and Lee (and Borges) sign new contracts soon.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Totally disagree with this.
If we play 3 at the back, he is nailed on for the central spot i m o.
With the other two we can maybe expect a little more quality distribution wise, but Cheick is adequate in this respect.
It seems people only want to dwell on a player's defects, and not his strengths. I've never understood this.
I agree Chieck is an adequate lower league CH. My response was in relation to whether he is replaceable which, although I would rather he signed a contract clearly there are similar players we could sign next season. I still believe the players we lost last season were far harder to replace as they were well above adequate players and in some cases exceptionally good

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
I agree Chieck is an adequate lower league CH. My response was in relation to whether he is replaceable which, although I would rather he signed a contract clearly there are similar players we could sign next season. I still believe the players we lost last season were far harder to replace as they were well above adequate players and in some cases exceptionally good
But those were never going to be players we built a team around, for the reasons you already state. Cheick and Harry could be.

manc grecian

I love the players are easily replaceable line. We've spent the last 2 seasons watching players leave and then making an absolute fist of replacing them and we increasingly replace them with loan players.

If we have a L1 standard player, who isn't likely to progress further up the ladder or bring us in a significant transfer fee then we should be going out of our way to keep them.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I love the players are easily replaceable line. We've spent the last 2 seasons watching players leave and then making an absolute fist of replacing them and we increasingly replace them with loan players.

If we have a L1 standard player, who isn't likely to progress further up the ladder or bring us in a significant transfer fee then we should be going out of our way to keep them.
I made this very point a few seasons ago when people were saying Archie would never be Championship standard and wouldn't make us a load of money. So what if some of our youngsters don't make us millions? As long as they're good enough for us it saves us a fortune recruiting someone else.

JGrecian23

Spot on and echos what I said a couple months the ago. We are useless at recruiting so you would think we would do everything we can do keep hold of our own.

cannockred

Spot on and echos what I said a couple months the ago. We are useless at recruiting so you would think we would do everything we can do keep hold of our own.
Its amazing that, at the moment, we are midtable with all the shit players we have isnt it😃