• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Can Christy Pym revive his international career?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
I sincerely hope thats the case Ant; I hope that the comment from him about league 2 being our natural level (or words to that effect) isnt taken too literally.
Indeed. Although given our history I would say it probably is our natural level, however that's not to say we shouldn't be capable of the odd lengthy foray into the division above every once in a while.

Pete Martin (CTID)

This shop window idea seems to be a trend at the club now, what with Ampadu and Watkins being highlighted.
More nonsense. Players put themselves in 'the shop window' at any club by turning in good performances and attracting attention, not, generally, because clubs deliberately promote them. Ampadu has played a very limited number first team games for us so far in any event and was attracting interest long before his first appearance.

Pobbop

Thats totally the wrong reason for him to be in the team, and I'd be extremely disappointed if I thought that was totally acurate. Its makes money more important than having our best keeper in goal in order that we can win games and hopefully get promoted. This shop window idea seems to be a trend at the club now, what with Ampadu and Watkins being highlighted; People on here are even suggesting how many millions our players are worth! Its doing Watkins no good at all, from what I hear and Pym should concentrate on ironing out the weaknesses he still has. I believe hes the best of the three, but certainly not good enough to attract attention. He shouldnt be on show yet, if that ever is the case.

I dread to ask, but how exactly is it doing him no good at all, seems to be in quite good form.

Oh and yes, this idea the club is pushing them forward is based on nothing but your own imagination. They're being picked on merit, and scouts will look at them. Young talent is a scarce commodity, and I'm not sure what we're meant t do turn scouts away with a flea in their ear?

I know it must be hard to find something negative to obsess about at this time, but this seems a pretty odd tack to steer.

I think he could well end up being a decent 'keeper, not counting my chickens yet, but he's a confident lad and I think that confidence aids the defenders around him.

ECFC Music

If a player is picked and not capable then nobody is going to buy them anyway. So for some to suggest certain players are picked and therefore in the shop window to attract attention rather than being there on merit is nonsense.

Well-known Exeweb poster
pym for england again , sori but no chance, he did amazingly well to get picked in the 1 st place getting picked again esp after a spell in the 'ressies' will be imo highly unlikely. would be hapi to be wrong though

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course Pym is picked on merit. I just find it strange that 10 games before the transfer window opens suddenly Pym, who hasnt had a look in for a year or so, is back as the regular No 1.

To suggest we don't want our players in the shop window is naive to say the least. We could cope without Pym easily without it having a knock on effect on results, and if we can make 500k as well then everyones a winner.

IndoMike

You might be right, but I reckon he's in the team solely because our more experienced keeper was allegedly not
doing the biz. Of course, anyone who is selected to play will theoretically be in the shop window. Pym, JMT, Watkins and Wheeler are the main ones. Maybe Brown? Holmes when fit? A couple of million quid there, I reckon.

eurogrecian

I reckon he's in the team solely because our more experienced keeper was allegedly not doing the biz.
I must say that when Bobby was signed, I thought that he was the sort of experienced keeper that would provide a solid platform for the team. For whatever reason - and there is nothing alleged about it - the results were just not showing that.
Pym has let in two goals in the last eight games. That speaks for itself.

Last edited:

IndoMike

It is true that probably our best centre back partnership has helped Pym over the last month. I also thought Pidgely would be solid and capable of making some good saves, but it seems ( I haven't yet seen with my own eyes) that he has disappointed. Therefore logically Pym has been recalled and seems to be doing quite well.

IndoMike

Sorry. Not Pidgely. Living in the Past. Bobby.