• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Can Christy Pym revive his international career?

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
(well,if we can't get carried away after this recent run...)

Christy of course played for England Under 20 a couple of seasons back, but then lost his place in the side/squad (as well as in City's side)

But in the recent run he's only conceded two goals in the last 8 games.

England Under 21s have reached the European finals for mid 2017,with other games in March but may have a keeping vacancy.

Jordan Pickford became first choice ahead of Christy,but is now out injured for quite a while.

The other two keepers in the last Under 21 squad in the autumn were Jonathan Mitchell (Derby) and Angus Gunn (Man City) They are very inexperienced - between them they have 6 first team appearances in senior football - the number of games Christy plays in a month.

Joe Wildsmith of Sheffield Wednesday had also got called up to the U21s - he's principally on the bench for Wednesday but was guilty last week of the keeping howler of the FA Cup third round.

Christy for England!

IndoMike

This proposal will of course require Pate's approval.

Grecian2K

Yes Andrew.

Please don't poke the Grizzly Arizonan Bear. You'll only rouse him from his mid-winter hibernation and start him growling at us again.

And don't you realise that Grizzelous Ursa Arazonis is registered with the World Wildlife Fund as an endangered species?

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good call this.
Aidy Boothroyd can't have failed to notice Pym's form since his return to the first team. Hope he gets a recall.

PeteUSA

Aidy Boothroyds not the man to impress anymore is he?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
One of the reasons Pym is back in the team is to raise his profile and put him in the shop window. Everyone talks of Watkins and Ampadu as our next sale but I can see Pym going for a decent wedge sooner or later

PeteUSA

One of the reasons Pym is back in the team is to raise his profile and put him in the shop window. Everyone talks of Watkins and Ampadu as our next sale but I can see Pym going for a decent wedge sooner or later
Thats totally the wrong reason for him to be in the team, and I'd be extremely disappointed if I thought that was totally acurate. Its makes money more important than having our best keeper in goal in order that we can win games and hopefully get promoted. This shop window idea seems to be a trend at the club now, what with Ampadu and Watkins being highlighted; People on here are even suggesting how many millions our players are worth! Its doing Watkins no good at all, from what I hear and Pym should concentrate on ironing out the weaknesses he still has. I believe hes the best of the three, but certainly not good enough to attract attention. He shouldnt be on show yet, if that ever is the case.

Antony Moxey

I don't think this shop window idea is being perpetuated by the club, it's just idle speculation by us and the media every time a young player turns in a few good performances. I would think - despite what's been suggested on here more than once by people with no idea whatsoever - that Tisdale picks his teams purely on merit rather than who he wants to show off to watching scouts.

PeteUSA

I don't think this shop window idea is being perpetuated by the club, it's just idle speculation by us and the media every time a young player turns in a few good performances. I would think - despite what's been suggested on here more than once by people with no idea whatsoever - that Tisdale picks his teams purely on merit rather than who he wants to show off to watching scouts.
I sincerely hope thats the case Ant; I hope that the comment from him about league 2 being our natural level (or words to that effect) isnt taken too literally.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aidy Boothroyds not the man to impress anymore is he?
I believe he is manager of the Under 20s and caretaker of the Under 21s. So, yes.