• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cameron's dereliction of duty

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

I spent ten minutes trying to find the relevant law, but couldn't quite pin it down. If one of you clever types can point to it or paste the wording here it would be a benefit.
Maybe this helps. An Act of parliament (as in a statute) may well be required to trigger Article 50. Does this help? https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2016/06/27/nick-barber-tom-hickman-and-jeff-king-pulling-the-article-50-trigger-parliaments-indispensable-role/

Wonder if the civil service are now working on this? Surely we don't wait until a new PM is appointed.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's what I thought. Don't forget Alistair is from Tedburn St. Mary.
I thought post 12 was a tad offensive rather than discursive although Anton is well able to look after himself and return the compliments.:)

IndoMike

I thought post 12 was a tad offensive rather than discursive although Anton is well able to look after himself and return the compliments.:)
Just social media banter, Ali. Never intended to be personal.

Swanaldo

Maybe this helps. An Act of parliament (as in a statute) may well be required to trigger Article 50. Does this help? https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2016/06/27/nick-barber-tom-hickman-and-jeff-king-pulling-the-article-50-trigger-parliaments-indispensable-role/

Wonder if the civil service are now working on this? Surely we don't wait until a new PM is appointed.
Watching discussions in the House of Commons now, Cameron is hammering home the message that he will honour the result.

Sounds like there's going to be paperwork galore as the Government negotiate an exit issue by issue.

Antony Moxey

Watching discussions in the House of Commons now, Cameron is hammering home the message that he will honour the result.

Sounds like there's going to be paperwork galore as the Government negotiate an exit issue by issue.
Yeah but he said he won't be the one to trigger article 50 as a new leader will do that, so how is he going to honour something that he's said he'll resign from before its honoured?

Swanaldo

Fair point :) Let me rephrase, he seemed to be sending a clear message to the house that honouring the result was the right thing to do.