• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cameron's dereliction of duty

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
.......one little comma can make so much difference.
Indeed, or should "Michael" have been repositioned between "think" and "there" ? With even more commas ? :S

IndoMike

But anyway, Alistair, how can we expect the public to make an educated evaluation of the EU issue and consequences when so many experts were not even sure how things could turn out. How can you vote for something when you have no real idea what the consequences will be.l Now, if the referendum was considered to be a kind of non- binding opinion poll to get a rough idea of how society was thinking, then for me no problem.

Antony Moxey

Leaving aside your spat with Ant (I was wondering if we needed to send a gunboat :)) do you think there are any circumstances in which a Referendum should be called Michael ?
It's not a spat, it's a discussion. This is a discussion forum.

Antony Moxey

OK. That's clear enough..
Well you did ask...

IndoMike

Indeed, or should "Michael" have been repositioned between "think" and "there" ? With even more commas ? :S
Just to add, Ali, why couldn't Cameron have said that the referendum was non- binding? Why did the referendum have to be final? If he had done that, he could have gone back to Brussels with some evidence that the Brits were not at all happy and tried to push for better terms.

Antony Moxey

But anyway, Alistair, how can we expect the public to make an educated evaluation of the EU issue and consequences when so many experts were not even sure how things could turn out. How can you vote for something when you have no real idea what the consequences will be.l Now, if the referendum was considered to be a kind of non- binding opinion poll to get a rough idea of how society was thinking, then for me no problem.
But surely this is the case every time there's a vote for a change. At the next general election do we stick with what we know or go into uncharted territory with Labour? At the Scottish referendum do they stick with Britain go alone where no-one knows what will happen?

As for a non-binding opinion poll, it is, isn't it? I don't think we have any legal obligation to follow it through do we (happy to be corrected on that one though)?

IndoMike

It's not a spat, it's a discussion. This is a discussion forum.
That's what I thought. Don't forget Alistair is from Tedburn St. Mary.

As for a non-binding opinion poll, it is, isn't it? I don't think we have any legal obligation to follow it through do we (happy to be corrected on that one though)?
The Man From Del Monte.

He says..................you are correct Antony Moxey, there is no legal obligation to implement the referendum result as it is, by its very nature, simply an opinion poll that may result in a change of law (or implementation of constitutional change).

IndoMike

But surely this is the case every time there's a vote for a change. At the next general election do we stick with what we know or go into uncharted territory with Labour? At the Scottish referendum do they stick with Britain go alone where no-one knows what will happen?

You're right regarding your last paragraph, but Cameron made it binding. He needs a better dictionary. Your first paragraph : when we vote for a government we know we can vote them out 5 years later if they screw up. If we're out of the EU, however, it's forever..

Antony Moxey

You're right regarding your last paragraph, but Cameron made it binding. He needs a better dictionary. Your first paragraph : when we vote for a government we know we can vote them out 5 years later if they screw up. If we're out of the EU, however, it's forever..
He made it binding? By law? I'm not sure he has the power to do that, especially as he's now off to earn a fortune on the lucrative after dinner speaker circuit. What if the next PM says b*ll*cks to what Cameron said, we're staying in? Also, if we do leave, what's to stop us applying to rejoin?