• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 228 59.7%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.3%

• Total voters

suffolklad

He obviously read mine because that’s seemingly what’s rattled his cage.😀
Thanks Banksy at least you understand.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
It is good to watch when done well but as well as buy in and high fitness levels, you also need two very mobile centre backs who are excellent defending one on one situations and a good sweeper keeper. This is why Liverpool got really good when they signed Van Dijk and Alisson. Otherwise it's a bit easy to bypass the press and play direct into space behind as normally only two defenders are left back to cover with an ocean of space. Against a team who plays out regardless though it is very effective.

As for us under Matt, we played a similar way, pressing very high and looking to win possession in the opposition final third. Our 4-0 win over Argyle was probably the high point of playing this way as they kept on playing out from the back and had a high line of defence. Being in L2 though, you had more teams happy to defend deep but play direct and effective from set pieces and wide areas. That is where we could struggle at times in breaking down the opposition and being caught at the back without the mobility or aerial dominance. Attacking wise we were generally ok, whether it was Law, Holmes, Lee Martin, Bowman, MJ, Randell and Randall, Jevani and Sam we could find a way most of the time. Defending was more of a problem. Matt was always looking for the right centre back combination and we got through quite a few before landing on a back three with a centre pin of George Ray, and then Stubbs and Cheick. That way promotion happened, because we were tight defensively, especially after the new year. It was a template in getting out of L2 really, a side with a pace and power, with a good bit of quality and good on set plays.
That Argyle game was a fantastic, swashbuckling performance. Pace, power, strength and guile. Brilliant.

Lots of ups and downs with Matt but many memorable moments.

I don’t think we have yet had the definitive Caldwell performance. A level up of course but there aren’t many that stick in the memory or got the heart racing. I know Luton might come up in response to this and it was a great defensive performance and result but by no means a classic.

We caught Wycombe cold from pre season and the Shrewsbury game was a good half but yeah, waiting for that/those moments

For people that like procedure they’re obviously enjoying this season but I like a bit of spice to my meals

Of course next season it could come together so looking forward to see how it develops beyond 1-0, 2-1 and losing a lot

There’s nothing better than watching City put the oppo under sustained pressure at speed; there have been glimmers of this over the past 6 or so weeks that give me a bit of hope that it won’t be more paint drying at SJP in 24/25

Looking forward to hearing Sturtz’s erudite thoughts - go on mate you can do it, let’s have some substance under the Viking helmet

Last edited:

fred binneys head

Whereas we do play-out from the back, we don't overplay in our own third.
That’s not true for quite a few games I’ve seen. Don’t get me wrong, overall I’m a fan of SGC and I agree with all of your post that I’ve taken a part-quote from, but for many games this season we absolutely have over-played it in our own third or at least our own half. Hence the high possession stats in games where we’ve had very low opportunity stats.

Grecian Max

That’s not true for quite a few games I’ve seen. Don’t get me wrong, overall I’m a fan of SGC and I agree with all of your post that I’ve taken a part-quote from, but for many games this season we absolutely have over-played it in our own third or at least our own half. Hence the high possession stats in games where we’ve had very low opportunity stats.
Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of passing along the back line slowly this season - deffo not a nightmare

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Literally posted I was wrong three or four times now hahaha

What more can you say really! Humility isn't a word you'd understand

You add zero to any debate, just another farting old man on the Bank drifting in the wind
Maybe if you write it in CAPITALS! That might help!

Rosencrantz

That Argyle game was a fantastic, swashbuckling performance. Pace, power, strength and guile. Brilliant.

Lots of ups and downs with Matt but many memorable moments.

I don’t think we have yet had the definitive Caldwell performance. A level up of course but there aren’t many that stick in the memory or got the heart racing. I know Luton might come up in response to this and it was a great defensive performance and result but by no means a classic.

We caught Wycombe cold from pre season and the Shrewsbury game was a good half but yeah, waiting for that/those moments

For people that like procedure they’re obviously enjoying this season but I like a bit of spice to my meals

Of course next season it could come together so looking forward to see how it develops beyond 1-0, 2-1 and losing a lot

There’s nothing better than watching City put the oppo under sustained pressure at speed; there have been glimmers of this over the past 6 or so weeks that give me a bit of hope that it won’t be more paint drying at SJP in 24/25

Looking forward to hearing Sturtz’s erudite thoughts - go on mate you can do it, let’s have some substance under the Viking helmet
That came a couple of seasons in for Matt? Matt had a clear idea of how he wanted to get out of L2 and worked towards it from the start. It wasn't to different from what we had already but refined in a more running game. Eventually he got the magic combination.

You would have to go back to last season for those kind of performances, Barnsley at home, thumping of Accy, even Rovers away but probably not what would be a definitive GC performance in the way he sees us having success in L1. It hasn't been easy viewing this season, and progress has been painfully slow and almost indiscernible at times. But I have always seen what is being attempted and kind of understand why, which was why I was more wait and see (players back fit, especially Ilmari and Dion, January signings). It is ambitious to play this way and look up in this division rather than over our shoulders. It is high tariff and if it isn't working, then you get the autumn form. A civil servant would be telling a minister that it would be a "brave" course of action to take. I think that is what a most of us would like (the ambition) but a lot of people will not think it wise and want to be more pragmatic as well as those who will never like the style anyway, everyone has different tastes after all.

I think pragmatism would get us so far, see Stevenage this season, it worked early on and they now seem to be running out of steam, or the better sides have worked them out. At some point though it will catch up with us (and Stevenage) and we will go down, as we did previously. Staying in this division at the start of a cycle is no mean feat. But it means nothing if we don't kick on. Much like a good draw is nothing if you don't then get the win next tine out.

First season of cycle, just about ticked off. Next season, we need to see more. That's how it works. Just my opinion though 🙂.

Spoonz Red E

I also find the debate around what we should and shouldn't find entertaining rather odd, given that it's totally subjective.
And varies within the 90 minutes.
Exeter City 3 Yeovil 3.
Entertaining game overall - but not for the first 88 minutes.

View attachment 15176

Our goals against position, which is exactly where we sit in the table

At times this year we've looked pretty solid in defence before losing our heads at bad moments, but I agree that denying the oppo the ball is a good thing

However if you've conceded and are 1-0 down it's also pretty easy to defend against hence our shocking return in front of goal:

View attachment 15178

I think most people are in agreement that we have been poor going forward this year and this is the thing that needs work

0.87 goals a game is the reason people think it's not all that fun
The standout from all these figures is Lincoln, who average 43% possession, have conceded the fewest goals, have still managed to score 60 goals themselves (albeit a decent chunk of them have come recently), and even more importantly are in a playoff spot. Have some of that next season please!

Bridgy 81

It is good to watch when done well but as well as buy in and high fitness levels, you also need two very mobile centre backs who are excellent defending one on one situations and a good sweeper keeper. This is why Liverpool got really good when they signed Van Dijk and Alisson. Otherwise it's a bit easy to bypass the press and play direct into space behind as normally only two defenders are left back to cover with an ocean of space. Against a team who plays out regardless though it is very effective.

As for us under Matt, we played a similar way, pressing very high and looking to win possession in the opposition final third. Our 4-0 win over Argyle was probably the high point of playing this way as they kept on playing out from the back and had a high line of defence. Being in L2 though, you had more teams happy to defend deep but play direct and effective from set pieces and wide areas. That is where we could struggle at times in breaking down the opposition and being caught at the back without the mobility or aerial dominance. Attacking wise we were generally ok, whether it was Law, Holmes, Lee Martin, Bowman, MJ, Randell and Randall, Jevani and Sam we could find a way most of the time. Defending was more of a problem. Matt was always looking for the right centre back combination and we got through quite a few before landing on a back three with a centre pin of George Ray, and then Stubbs and Cheick. That way promotion happened, because we were tight defensively, especially after the new year. It was a template in getting out of L2 really, a side with a pace and power, with a good bit of quality and good on set plays.
Yes I agree Van Dijk and Alisson were key additions.
Then getting ‘more legs’ into their midfield again this season has enabled them to move up a notch this year.

Alistair20000

And, seemingly, the same level of vitriolic "debate" between the opposing factions. :(
Seems to have cooled down to be fair.