• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 228 59.7%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.3%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watford might be an 'ultra-extreme' example, not quite sure how you figure Cambridge United is. That said, unlike ourselves they both have multimillionaire owners with deep pockets - Pozzo and Barry - that allows them the luxury of being able to stick or twist on a whim mid-season.
Hawker said they could sack Caldwell if they wanted to, it’s not a luxury.

You seem to be suffering from the same affliction as poor old Sturtz, not every manager we will employ will turn out to be the right choice. And that’s ok.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Serious questions.
Would you have been happier if we were all but down BUT the football was more enjoyable?

Or would you have been happier if the football remained the same BUT we were in the playoffs with a chance of autos?
I think this has been discussed a few times. It is possible to have a good season AND play exciting football, it doesn't have to be a choice between one or the other.

What about an option of playing exciting football with a few more goals and finishing mid table? I'll take that, please.

Gordon Dale

I haven't been to many Games this year as I'm still knocking the ball about myself and playing vets.

What's the atmosphere like inside the ground? Many moan and groans about GC
To answer your question ..There ain't one! Don't take my word for it .....Rams supporters summed it up perfectly with their chant , ' IS THIS A LIBRARY' .

Grecian Max

@Exiled_Grecian

27 goals in 36 games
50 conceded

It’s been w@nk

Why would I dislike Caldwell personally? Makes no sense, he’s just another bloke in the dugout. Seems like a nice guy, his football has been overall poor in terms of creating and finishing goals, the whole point of the sport

You can talk and talk and talk and give all these reasons as to why you think people should back him. Doesn’t make a difference because the core product is cr@p, particularly at home

Gordon Dale

My intention through the stats used were to highlight that some of the criticisms levelled at GC and our playing style aren't really reflected in the stats, which may indicate that the criticisms are somewhat unfair. As I've said before, they aren't intended to make out that we are brilliant and they aren't intended to remove any sort of pressure from the manager, just that IMO any criticism should be supported by evidence before being used as a stick to beat someone with.

I've seen him make changes IMO that have affected a game/result before yes - what do you classify as bold? He changed our shape slightly away at Stevenage (for example) and I'd argue that significantly contributed to us getting a point.

But that supports my point doesn't it - the fact we underperform xG doesn't mean we don't create 'anything'. It means like you say that it's our finishing that is poor and lets us down - that's not a tactic, that's a skill from the players, but granted, one that can and evidently should be worked on more in training.
You're absolutely right on 'poor finishing'. I was very optimistic on the loan signing of Mo Eisa but to date he's disappointed . Is this due to lack of fitness or something else?

Grecian Max

Jeez, is this what football has become? Discussions around passes per sequence or direct speed. I didn't sign up for this :( #GetCaldwellOut
😂 my thoughts exactly

Antony Moxey

Watford might be an 'ultra-extreme' example, not quite sure how you figure Cambridge United is. That said, unlike ourselves they both have multimillionaire owners with deep pockets - Pozzo and Barry - that allows them the luxury of being able to stick or twist on a whim mid-season.
I never mentioned Cambridge?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Jeez, is this what football has become? Discussions around passes per sequence or direct speed. I didn't sign up for this :( #GetCaldwellOut
Reminds me of the old Lawrie McMenemy story: "Ball. In. Goal! "

Grecian Max

Barnsley have lost ONE in 18

That game was against us

In the table of Barnsley v Exeter games at Oakwell this season, Exeter are top

Say what you like about Caldwell, but at least examine the stats and reflect

#stats #football #virgin

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where are you getting your stats from E_G?
Gary's laptop - you got a problem with Perks doing that ;)