• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bids in for Croll

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Croll is a tricky one for me. I have seen some very good performances here and there and is definitely talented in my view. He is prone to lapses in concentration though, and sometimes makes poor decisions, a bit like an 18 yr old novice, but I would keep him for now because if he sorts this stuff out I reckon he would be very decent for us, and it's possible he will do so ?. We have kept Matt Jay for ages for example, bags of ability but is he really league standard ?, I guess the view has been he may be sooner rather than later ?

IndoMike

Can't imagine he's on a big salary : keep him until end of season in case there is an emergency and then review.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
He's ok at this level but as mentioned lacks consistency. Also he's not a born leader in the Matt Taylor mould. I think to be a really great CB you also need to be a leader on the pitch, not afraid to take responsibility and organise the team. That being said I think he will still have a solid career at L2 level, maybe even L1 at a push.

tonykellowfan

He may well be off as remember we have £1m arrived recently so we may well be making a relatively big money 100k/200k purchase of a new CB.

Temporarily Exiled

It wouldn’t surprise me if Intheknow knows someone who is actually privy to inside knowledge that might give him the occasional bit, hence when he claimed we were about to sign Wagstaff after putting two and two together when he may have been told were signing a winger released from Gillingham. As for saying moves broke down for whatever reasons I think it’s completely made up.
Say 'ITK' was right about Wagstaff. That someone at the club had told them, in confidence, that Wagstaff was on his way to ECFC... That 'leak' tells all our rivals that ECFC - a team with a pretty decent transfer record - think this guy's worth bringing in. That means more clubs become aware of him, maybe a bidding war starts. No time for it at all.

Anybody that does know what's going on at the club with regards to transfers is actively harming the club by publishing potential dealings.

Saint James

Say 'ITK' was right about Wagstaff. That someone at the club had told them, in confidence, that Wagstaff was on his way to ECFC... That 'leak' tells all our rivals that ECFC - a team with a pretty decent transfer record - think this guy's worth bringing in. That means more clubs become aware of him, maybe a bidding war starts. No time for it at all.

Anybody that does know what's going on at the club with regards to transfers is actively harming the club by publishing potential dealings.
I agree on your last line and that's why generally the pool of knowledge is kept to a few. Regards Wagstaff though I don't think his name was actually mentioned until after he joined AFC Wimbledon in preference to us (if that transfer was a possibility)

Ashford Grecian

Guess I must have seen him play in the "right" games, has always looked a decent player to me seems to have a little bit more about him than a typical L2 defender...

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Guess I must have seen him play in the "right" games, has always looked a decent player to me seems to have a little bit more about him than a typical L2 defender...
Another one conned by the odd step over and drag back.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some of the key things I would look for in a central defender:

Pace

Aerial ability

Strength

Positioning

Aggression

Awareness

Reliability

Toughness

Croll doesn't score very highly on many of these.

Someone like Dara O'Shea ticks quite a few of those boxes.

O'Shea will go on and have a long career in the football league, I don't think Croll will, he will drift as he does when he plays.

Last edited:

Red Devon

I rate Croll good on the ball and very strong with his head a cut above most League 2 defenders.