• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Barnet vs Exeter City matchday thread

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just watched the extended highlights. Events leading up to the last goal quite remarkable as Holmes took the free kick there were six City players strung out across the six yard area and another two on the edge of the penalty area. It was Sweeney who got up well to head back and across the box for Stockley to turn the ball into the net. Some have commented that it was a goal line scramble but from what I could see it was far from being a typical goal mouth scramble but rather a well worked team goal. This team is totally committed to the cause and in my opinion as a team playing even better than during our purple patch last season.

Ashford Grecian

A fantastic advert for league 2 football and agreed with pretty much all the views posted of the game... Considering the constant driving rain and wind the overall standard was excellent... James again MOM for me second game running, what a transformation... Both keepers take great credit (I know Craig Ross very well from his Ashford Town days)...
Not over impressed with Tilson again and surely only a matter of time before Boateng is starting, he does look real quality... All the other lads did well and it just wasn't Holmes night and was probably our least effective player, but he will have many more good matches than poor ones... A nice little return for junior who was with me on 75mins had £100 at 3/1 Exeter double chance, if only he had done us to win!!! Great night and superb support... keep this rolling lads (y)

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great night and superb support... keep this rolling lads (y)
I know. We had a quarter of the attendance and given the noise we made, it must have seemed like a home game for the players. Keep it up!

One highlight for me was the grief given to their goalie Ross after the final whistle. I think we really got him; counting him out for all his time wasting before we equalised.

Barnet F.C. 1 v Exeter City F.C. 2 | Invited pressure & ran out of steam | (12/09/17) Matchday Vlog https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--J3dRA9jNk
Cracking write up there pal, always good to see it from the other side. I don't think we were really there for the taking the first half though; good chances were to be had on both sides. I liked your no 5 - he was all over Reid like a cheap suit for 60 minutes.

Last edited:

Exehausted

Barnet F.C. 1 v Exeter City F.C. 2 | Invited pressure & ran out of steam | (12/09/17) Matchday Vlog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--J3dRA9jNk
Really interesting to hear comments from the opposition fans in real time. Totally agreed with the version that our fans gave, they were the best team for 60 mins then we bossed it. We might talk with different accents, but the feelings are all exactly the same. How many times in recent seasons have we done that at home? You feel so helpless, sitting there, when you can see what's coming and can do nothing about it. I feel your pain big man, but we're keeping the points!

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Some have commented that it was a goal line scramble but from what I could see it was far from being a typical goal mouth scramble but rather a well worked team goal. This team is totally committed to the cause and in my opinion as a team playing even better than during our purple patch last season.
That's what I thought too, quite exquisite delivery from Holmes then a perfectly weighted head back across the six yard line which just left Stockley to finish!!

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster

Red Bill

Just watched the extended highlights. Events leading up to the last goal quite remarkable as Holmes took the free kick there were six City players strung out across the six yard area and another two on the edge of the penalty area. It was Sweeney who got up well to head back and across the box for Stockley to turn the ball into the net. Some have commented that it was a goal line scramble but from what I could see it was far from being a typical goal mouth scramble but rather a well worked team goal. This team is totally committed to the cause and in my opinion as a team playing even better than during our purple patch last season.
I thought exactly the same thing SB, Sweeney put a perfect back post header back into the danger area and stockley was there ready to poke it in like you'd hope any good striker would be. Good goal I think. I thought the same about our first that someone described as scrappy, James intercepted brilliantly, laid a perfect ball off to Taylor who hit a fantastic early 30 yard shot that came back off the inside of the post and Reid, like the good striker he is was following up ready to tap in the rebound. Two very good goals IMO.

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
One highlight for me was the grief given to their goalie Ross after the final whistle. I think we really got him; counting him out for all his time wasting before we equalised.
I thought the opposite - I was actually applauding him for his superb performance but instead of respect he was being goaded. Yes, his timewasting was bad but I don't think he deserved to be on the losing side.

Loudmouth_BFC

I know. We had a quarter of the attendance and given the noise we made, it must have seemed like a home game for the players. Keep it up!

Cracking write up there pal, always good to see it from the other side. I don't think we were really there for the taking the first half though; good chances were to be had on both sides. I liked your no 5 - he was all over Reid like a cheap suit for 60 minutes.
Cheers pal, wish you all the best for the season.