• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Artur - So far, so good?

home counties

I'm sorry but I really can't accept the theory that Ak wasn't massively at fault for the first goal. Wind or not and especially with only a couple of minutes to go before the break you position yourself nearer the goal line so that you can come forward to deal with the situation. He simply did not do that and the ball went over his head with absolutely no movement at all on his part.
I concede that I was at the Fratton end as I had borrowed a friend of mines season ticket so have had to rely on the TV coverage but what seemed to be at the time I beleive actually was.
On the plus side the Portsmouth supporters that I came across were a great bunch. Very tolerant too as I may have been a little loud.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sorry but I really can't accept the theory that Ak wasn't massively at fault for the first goal. Wind or not and especially with only a couple of minutes to go before the break you position yourself nearer the goal line so that you can come forward to deal with the situation. He simply did not do that and the ball went over his head with absolutely no movement at all on his part.
Absolutely, but they wont have it; perhaps they'll see it differently coming from you.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well it goes from bad to worse, I thought Art was well at fault for Portsmouths first two, and the third one on his near post wasnt to clever either.

There was no fluke about the first goal, whether it was meant to be a cross or a shot, AK should have had the ball covered with all the time in the world to adjust his positioning. The ball didnt bounce from the cross, so the wind couldnt be blamed. AK simply advanced too far from his goal and realised too late he was too far out, and f***ed!

The second one was also a farce. Art running up and down his line like a pink fart in a colander, making no attempt to claim the ball in the air at any time.

Third one; not so much, but an attempt to block the cross from the left is always a better bet than being rivited to your near post!
Just seen the goals for the first time and I just knew that I would come on here and find this sort of post you are just so predictable and getting more and more irritating

Grecian1966

I concede that I was at the Fratton end as I had borrowed a friend of mines season ticket so have had to rely on the TV coverage but what seemed to be at the time I beleive actually was.
On the plus side the Portsmouth supporters that I came across were a great bunch. Very tolerant too as I may have been a little loud.
No, no and no. As a GK you position yourself for what you expect to happen - in this case you anticipate a cross into the 18 penalty box therefore you advance to the 6 yard line so as to get to the ball before the oncoming forward. This is what you learn as a kid. You don't stand on your line in anticipating a one in a hundred million fluke that is wind assisted. You cannot stand in two places at once. Sometimes I despair with how people apportion blame in circumstances where the player (notably the GK) is totally blameless.

fred binneys head

with only a couple of minutes to go before the break you position yourself nearer the goal line so that you can come forward to deal with the situation.
He did, the situation was that a cross came in, he went out to collect it and a gust of wind changed the direction of the ball. A freak goal.

Fareham Grecian

Absolutely, but they wont have it; perhaps they'll see it differently coming from you.
As pathetic as usual from you. You weren't there, you have no idea what the conditions were like. And neither does Home Counties if he was in the (sheltered) home end, 100 yards away. It was incredibly, inconsistently, windy. The tv shot doesn't do any justice to the conditions. From the away end, you could see the cross going across the pitch and then suddenly getting pushed towards the goal, and lifted higher. There is no keeper in the world who would have saved that.

home counties

Doesn't seem like it. But if I am wrong where was his reaction. There just wasn't one and that comes from postioning...doesn't it?

Fareham Grecian

Doesn't seem like it. But if I am wrong where was his reaction. There just wasn't one and that comes from postioning...doesn't it?
No, it comes from him realising that it was a once in a lifetime fluke that he could do absolutely nothing about.

FAN-TATIC

Holmes, the player who scored the goal has admitted that it was not a shot at goal but a cross to the far post. In that circumstance Artur acted correctly by preparing himself to intercept a cross. If you were not there you cannot have any idea how strong and swirling the wind was. The change of flight and direction of the ball can be compared to a deflected shot. When it happens 'keepers have no chance.

grecIAN Harris

No, no and no. As a GK you position yourself for what you expect to happen - in this case you anticipate a cross into the 18 penalty box therefore you advance to the 6 yard line so as to get to the ball before the oncoming forward. This is what you learn as a kid. You don't stand on your line in anticipating a one in a hundred million fluke that is wind assisted. You cannot stand in two places at once. Sometimes I despair with how people apportion blame in circumstances where the player (notably the GK) is totally blameless.
Spot on. Anticipation is how you look better. Nobody is going to anticipate a freak gust of wind. The same thing happened to Artur's fellow countryman, Artur Boric, yesterday. He too was done by a freak gust of wind having anticipated where he would normally expect to collect the ball.