• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are we actually underachieving?

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I agree they are very capable players, but that makes no difference if there are 7 teams with more capable players in the same division - and while it is difficult to directly compare the abilities of players, I feel pretty confident in stating there are 7 teams who's squads earn more, and as such this would suggest they are capable, and therefore will have signed, better players than we can get. Add to that the attraction of almost any clubs that aren't Carlise in terms of a footballer's preferred geographical location.

And for me the results on the field aren't worth as much as things like the club giving me a shot at being a journalist when I was 18 by letting me write their U18's match reports. I hate to say it Credy, but if what you want is the best results, you're probably supporting the wrong club, because unfortunately, 90% of the time, they wont be at Exeter - whoever is in charge.

Excuses IMO

Mansfield and Accringnton are in the play offs - neither are blessed with brilliant squads , in fact I'd say our team has more quality than both of there's

Sadly one thing most clubs have at this level that we don't is the ability to scrap , mix it on crap pitches & play direct when required or Change tactics

Look at all teams near the top they play 4-4-2 with wide players , strength in the central areas & somebody upfront who scores a goal - simple tactics for a simple division

Tisdale over complicates things - yesterday we had Holmes , Harley & Nicholls all doing the same job

CREDYGRECIAN

Go on then Jose - how should they be used?
The fact I have to tell you says everything

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Go on then Jose - how should they be used?
Chasing the play-offs but you're One- nil down away to the 22nd club who haven't kept a clean sheet since forever... Who do you bring on?

hienzeECFC

Not really we should have more points and should be a lot nearer the play-offs than we are.
I wouldn't presume to say we should be finishing there, or higher, or lower without the data, which unfortunately I dont think is available. I would hazard a guess though that our wage spending is somewhere between 20th and 10th in League 2 - so i would argue 14th (although that's meaningless till the end of the season) is about what we should expect.

CREDYGRECIAN

I wouldn't presume to say we should be finishing there, or higher, or lower without the data, which unfortunately I dont think is available. I would hazard a guess though that our wage spending is somewhere between 20th and 10th in League 2 - so i would argue 14th (although that's meaningless till the end of the season) is about what we should expect.
Then how are Accrington 5th ?

We get 2000 more fans at home games then they do

iscalad

It could be argued that they are over achieving.

GrecianWonder

As do the majority of the league. So every manager bar D&R should be sacked for being below Accrington?

Do you know what an outlier is?

CREDYGRECIAN

It could be argued that they are over achieving.
Then if that's the case were defiantly under achieving

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I don't see getting into league one or even finishing in the play offs as an expectation, but I do want us to make a decent challenge for them more often than not. I also want the mindset to be, let's try and make every home game and every cup match specifically an event. Want to win every game but the ideal would be to get people thinking "city are home on Tuesday, I need to make sure I am free as I don't want to miss the game". Give me a manager who wants to have a go at the opposition, with a side that will roll up its sleeves and have a battle, whilst trying to get as many shots and crosses in as possible.

Maybe it's just the lot of a league two club, but it's hard to fathom us sometimes. We have had some great wins, and can play some very good stuff, but then can also be dire at other times. I would also like someone who when it's been disappointing just says that wasn't good enough, I get why the fans aren't happy and I will do my best to sort it out on the training ground. It isn't so much that mid table of league two is awful, more that I am not terrifically confident that if he stayed for another five years that much would change and that's why I would like a fresh approach , even though there is no guaruntee a change will get us where we want to be.

Mackster

For me it's not that I think we have a right to finish in the top 7 - I'm quite a realist - but it's the way we do it under Tisdale that troubles me. In the early days he was a legend in my eyes - who can forget the tussles with Jim Smith, Peter Taylor and the like, when our unproven manager tactically out-manoeuvred everyone in his path, sometimes changing formations two or three times a match? Even when we lost, it was with pride and a sense of what might have been, rather than the turgid performances and the eccentric selections / formations we have seen over the last few years. Yes, on our day we are world-beaters (Orient away, anyone?) but "our day" is getting more and more rare, and when it isn't "our day" it can be mind-numbingly dull.

I've also become more and more irritated by him as an individual during his interviews, press conferences, etc - he talks an increasing amount of nonsense and it winds me right up.

Put simply, I think he's been with us too long and it's a shame that that's happened as I would rather remember him fondly - he's doing his best to ensure that doesn't happen at the moment, which saddens me.
FBH says it better than I could.

For the time he's been in the job, he should be performing at the same level as Keith Hill at Rochdale

Last edited: