• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are we actually underachieving?

hienzeECFC

I tend to be more of a quiet observer on these pages rather than a commenter, but one thing that has stuck at me this season is the growing number of fans who have become dissatisfied with our manager, our board, or whomever may fit between them. While there have always been people seemingly sharpening their blades, even in our League 1 seasons, there appears to be a burgeoning group who are coming around to the idea that ECFC are not meeting the expectations of the fans. This has of course been demonstrated by the Red Legion protest at the weekend.

Before I go any further I should say that I have been a fan of City since the latter conference days, and used to hold a season ticket every year, however I have been to only a handful of games since 2012 when I started at university up in sunny Nottingham. I should also add that in the handful of games I have been to, the Red Legion have been bloody fantastic, and I would in no way wish to criticise them, or their right to protest as they see fit.

What I would say though is that I fail to see how the club are underachieving. A quick glance at the history section of Football Manager shows what I suspect we all know, that ECFC have been a League 2 club for the vast majority of their history (Right up until I take over at the start of the game and win the CL in three years) I do however, appreciate that the point of being a football fan for most is to look forward with hope and expectation that the next stage of our history will be one of unprecedented success.

Anyone who has read the quite brilliant 'Soccernomics' by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski, , will be aware that there is a consistent and generally reliable correlation between league position, and wage expenditure. Of course there are always outliers, and that is why we love football - because we all hope our club will do a Leicester. Now of course I don't have a league table of the last ten years of every club in the football pyramid's wage expenditure relative to their final position, but it does not take much imagination to see that generally speaking, we are probably not in the top 10 for wages in League 2 most seasons. We may pop in and out, but it strikes me that every year that goes by there will be at least seven clubs spending more per week on players than we are. So the question is, what gives us the right to think we deserve a top 7 finish in any particular year? And more to the point what makes us think that by failing to achieve this, the club are underachieving?

I would argue that rather than underachieving, we have been doing quite the opposite. Since our relegation, I would argue we have been finishing about where we should. And for the four years prior, we were overachieving. I do not know enough about our time in the Conference to definitively say if we were underachieving by taking the time we did to return to the Football League, but in fairness there have and continue to be clubs bigger than ours getting stuck in that bear trap for prolonged periods.

The truth for me is that success in football is, in the vast majority of cases, bought. As a fan owned club we are unlikely to ever have the means to buy that success. Personally I am too proud of the community run nature of our club to believe that any amount of success is worth exchanging for being able to sing 'we own our football club'. But the fact remains that it is unfair to criticise any member of our club's management or board for failing to achieve more than they are funded to achieve.

Anyway I apologise if this was a bit long winded and utterly pointless. I'm currently writing my dissertation and its a bit difficult to fully switch off once you get going but I love to procrastinate and thought I would weigh in.

sladie

i think the main problem this season is, we have money, Tisdale expressed how excited he was, talk of the play offs as a min, are all factors to think about, also add in that over the last 10 yrs we have had more excitement than ever before, never in our history have we had 2 promotions in 10 yrs let alone back to back

That said, i feel having got to lg1 Tisdale knows how to build a squad that can get there, so with the money he has from the grimes sale we 'should' be building a squad able to do that, the other problem is playing platers out of position, leaving fit young lads on the bench like wheeler and bringing on Clint, yes i like Clint, but he wont win you a game, wheeler on the other hand could

I see this season as a non event, we wont make the POs and we wont go down

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... ECFC have been a League 2 club for the vast majority of their history (Right up until I take over at the start of the game and win the CL in three years) ...
Tis out, heinze in!

hienzeECFC

I guess you've summed up my point more concisely than I managed - yes we have money from Grimes, but we had no money whatsoever at the beginning of last season - hence the PFA loan - and there is only so far 1.75 Million will go when there are other clubs who had that kind of money to invest from the outset. I just fail to see how we can consider the club as underachieving because they have thus far failed to bring us to League 1 twice in a decade, when they started off lower than we ever have been before, and we have only reached League 1 a handful of times in the last century.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
For me it's not that I think we have a right to finish in the top 7 - I'm quite a realist - but it's the way we do it under Tisdale that troubles me. In the early days he was a legend in my eyes - who can forget the tussles with Jim Smith, Peter Taylor and the like, when our unproven manager tactically out-manoeuvred everyone in his path, sometimes changing formations two or three times a match? Even when we lost, it was with pride and a sense of what might have been, rather than the turgid performances and the eccentric selections / formations we have seen over the last few years. Yes, on our day we are world-beaters (Orient away, anyone?) but "our day" is getting more and more rare, and when it isn't "our day" it can be mind-numbingly dull.

I've also become more and more irritated by him as an individual during his interviews, press conferences, etc - he talks an increasing amount of nonsense and it winds me right up.

Put simply, I think he's been with us too long and it's a shame that that's happened as I would rather remember him fondly - he's doing his best to ensure that doesn't happen at the moment, which saddens me.

Last edited:

hienzeECFC

Tis out, heinze in!
I have a very convenient agreement with my computer in that it supports ECFC as well and crashes after a run of poor games and I have to go back to my last save.

LOG

I guess you've summed up my point more concisely than I managed - yes we have money from Grimes, but we had no money whatsoever at the beginning of last season - hence the PFA loan - and there is only so far 1.75 Million will go when there are other clubs who had that kind of money to invest from the outset. I just fail to see how we can consider the club as underachieving because they have thus far failed to bring us to League 1 twice in a decade, when they started off lower than we ever have been before, and we have only reached League 1 a handful of times in the last century.
The PFA loan was last season.

hienzeECFC

The PFA loan was last season.
Isn't that what I said?

hienzeECFC

I've also become more and more irritated by him as an individual during his interviews, press conferences, etc - he talks an increasing amount of nonsense and it winds me right up.
I can't say I have ever heard a manager press conference that wasn't absolute rubbish. I hate the media obsession with them from top to bottom - always strikes me as a fertile ground for click baiting.

LOG

Isn't that what I said?
Oh yeah. Carry on :$