• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Are we actually underachieving?

hienzeECFC

Oh yeah. Carry on :$
I wish the muppets who mis-marked my last coursework were that easy to correct!

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Yes we're under achieving IMO.

When you consider the quality in the squad , JMT , Ribs , Noble , Harley , Wheeler , Holmes , Nicholls are all very capable league 2 players

All this were Exeter were a league 2 club based on history etc is just excuses for not wanting to take a chance or progress

Financially this season we've prob been as well off as we have been in a decade so the fact we're 14th isn't good enough

The managers continued rotation of players and constant reliance on players who should of retired 2 seasons ago is also disappointing given he told us he wanted a young team of home grown talent

Too much is spoken and not enough is proven IMO - the proper chaps , the community club , the welcoming club with a "unique" way of working , the manager with the best fashion sense in the country.......

It's all a smoke screen by The club too cover up crap results on the field - which is the only part of the club I'm personally bothered about - all I hear is talk -

Last edited:

hienzeECFC

When you consider the quality in the squad , JMT , Ribs , Noble , Harley , Wheeler , Holmes , Nicholls are all very capable league 2 players

All this were Exeter were a league 2 club based on history etc is just excuses for not wanting to take a chance or progress

Financially this season we've prob been as well off as we have been in a decade so the fact we're 14th isn't good enough

The managers continued rotation of players and constant reliance on players who should of retired 2 seasons ago is also disappointing given he told us he wanted a young team of home grown talent

Too much is spoken and not enough is proven IMO - the proper chaps , the community club , the welcoming club with a "unique" way of working , the manager with the best fashion sense in the country.......

It's all a smoke screen by The club too cover up crap results on the field - which is the only part of the club I'm personally bothered about - all I hear is talk -
I agree they are very capable players, but that makes no difference if there are 7 teams with more capable players in the same division - and while it is difficult to directly compare the abilities of players, I feel pretty confident in stating there are 7 teams who's squads earn more, and as such this would suggest they are capable, and therefore will have signed, better players than we can get. Add to that the attraction of almost any clubs that aren't Carlise in terms of a footballer's preferred geographical location.

And for me the results on the field aren't worth as much as things like the club giving me a shot at being a journalist when I was 18 by letting me write their U18's match reports. I hate to say it Credy, but if what you want is the best results, you're probably supporting the wrong club, because unfortunately, 90% of the time, they wont be at Exeter - whoever is in charge.

Last edited:

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Your appraisal would be correct bar one fundamental issue: the same manager who took us from the Conference to League 1 in successive seasonson a shoestring budget is still in charge.

So perhaps Exeter City are not underachieving as you claim, however the manager clearly is, and why he didn't move on and upwards do five years ago is beyond me.

Nobody on here talks about the Peter Fox years, but that is all Tisdale has delivered since Sheffield Wednesday away, and in the same timeframe, too.

iscalad

When you consider the quality in the squad , JMT , Ribs , Noble , Harley , Wheeler , Holmes , Nicholls are all very capable league 2 players -
So, mid table is about their level.

Red Monster

I do think we've underachieved but I do think there's 7/8 clubs who have better players than we have and the likes of
Luton ,Orient and even Portsmouth should be doing a lot better with the squad of players they have .

Last edited:

hienzeECFC

I do think we've underachieved but I do think there's 7/8 clubs who have better players than we have and the likes of
Luton and even Portsmouth should be doing a lot better with the squad of players they have .
Seems contradictory....

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
So, mid table is about their level.
Absolutely not - those 7 players added to by people willing to do the dirty work required by winning tackles , heading the ball and mixing it when required would see us far higher.

It's not the ability it's the way there used

hienzeECFC

Absolutely not - those 7 players added to by people willing to do the dirty work required by winning tackles , heading the ball and mixing it when required would see us far higher.

It's not the ability it's the way there used
Go on then Jose - how should they be used?

Red Monster

Seems contradictory....
Not really we should have more points and should be a lot nearer the play-offs than we are.