• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Anfield

Red Bill

I'd say, if what you say is true, is that Tom Nichols is the arrogant idiot. Wanting away because of ONE game? F*** off then if that's the case.
Have to agree on that score. It was ridiculous not starting him but if that alone made him want to leave, then we're better off without the childish little ****!

MrTis

Tom would still be here now if Tis hadn't dicked him about at Anfield...and I know that for a fact !

What have we got for him ?...next to nothing now !

What price Tis's arrogance ? Probably promotion.

The Blokes an idiot.. Period.!
You don't have talk some carp.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Although it's been presented as fcat so is indisputable, i'm not clear on how starting, or not, at Anfield would have affected whether Peterborough put in a bid.

I'm also not convinced that this would have affected Tom's decision whether or not to join a larger club with recent Championship history on, presumably, a significantly higher wage.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I'd say, if what you say is true, is that Tom Nichols is the arrogant idiot. Wanting away because of ONE game? F*** off then if that's the case.
You would be fuming as a player Ant - especially as top scorer at the time and already having scored in the first game as well on top

Being left out for a 36 year old bloke who scored 2 in 50 games for Tom Nichols would of been so confusing and I don't blame him for leaving

Playing at Anfield for a young lad like Tom would of been a dream - Morrison would of played at anfield many times already for palace and Birmingham

To be left out of that game when your used to playing at Newport or Dagenham would of been a bitter pull especially when your replacement was crap

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would have been fuming. Nichols had already missed the Sunderland match - the very place his family were from. He was hitting the headlines after the initial 3rd round game and this was the chance every young player dreams of.

To be dropped for Morrison must have been a dagger to him.

The decision was bizarre.

MrTis

I would have been fuming. Nichols had already missed the Sunderland match - the very place his family were from. He was hitting the headlines after the initial 3rd round game and this was the chance every young player dreams of.

To be dropped for Morrison must have been a dagger to him.

The decision was bizarre.
Now let's move on FGS, he's gone and money in the bank!

Avening Posse

My tup'peth worth. Like most speculation, this may be fantastical nonsense, but I'm trying to think of reasons the second-longest-running manager with sensitivity and intelligence would have picked a 36 yr old journeyman against a bunch of very fast, keen-to-impress players in their early-twenties. Pretty sure any fan with a passing familiarity with our squad wouldn't have started with CM, unless every other player in his position was crocked. Tis made other selection errors, but CM stands out for the sheer jaw-dropping moment when seeing him on the pitch.

I think Klopp acted like a fool at SJP. What came to mind was Mourinho's comments about his first FA Cup game. In Portugal, Spain, Germany, etc., the lower league clubs treat it like a "Thanks for the exhibition match and gate money" event. Mourinho's Chelsea team were beaten and it took him massively aback, but his reflection was "This country is different". Roll on to Klopp's first game and from his "Expecting an exhibition match" view, he treats speculation about us winning as a personal attack on him "They think I can't pick a team four divisions below, my reserves can do that!" As well as "Hah, I'm here to win the PL, not this tin-pot competition. Make me play away in January on a Friday, I won't even give them the exhibition match".

Undisputed is that Klopp was fantastically ungraceful post-match at SJP, he whined about it being a Friday night, he whined about the pitch (several times), he even whined about doing the damn interview. Even before the game, Tisdale gave him a gift (traditional, or just "our way", I don't know) and Klopp laughed at receiving it. There was a definite element of disrespect from the Liverpool management team strung all the way through the first game.

Roll forward to Anfield. Tisdale picks significant players who would form HIS B team. He convinces himself as we're not going to win, ignoring the magnificent first half at Sunderland and Defoe's contribution to our defeat, whose goals single-handedly kept Sunderland in the top flight. If we've not won on our best chance at SJP, then, Tis thinks, he can put out who he likes as a sort of two-fingers to Klopp. "Look, two can play at this game". The rest is history.

Like I said, probably nonsense, but short of "playing his mates" (are CM and him mates?), struggling to make sense of it. And yes, #stillfuming is correct.
i guess we will never really know, but you just might have something there.....

Antony Moxey

You would be fuming as a player Ant - especially as top scorer at the time and already having scored in the first game as well on top

Being left out for a 36 year old bloke who scored 2 in 50 games for Tom Nichols would of been so confusing and I don't blame him for leaving

Playing at Anfield for a young lad like Tom would of been a dream - Morrison would of played at anfield many times already for palace and Birmingham

To be left out of that game when your used to playing at Newport or Dagenham would of been a bitter pull especially when your replacement was crap
Of course you'd be fuming, but putting in a transfer request on the strength of one game? I don't believe that.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Of course you'd be fuming, but putting in a transfer request on the strength of one game? I don't believe that.
It's bigger than that though isn't it - it's not a one off game away to York , it's the biggest game of the lads career and its Anfield its Liverpool one of the most historic grounds in world football.

Would that of been the decision maker on staying or going to Peterborough ? Possibly.

denzel

It's ok now he's at Peterborough he can have massive games at Fleetwood, Rochdale, Southend.....