• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

An honest view of the game?

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Shock horror , city lose to a physical team.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tranmere fan in peace here. Just thought I'd come on here to see what your views were on the game, and see if any of you share the views of this lad? www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/football/Exeter-s-flair-nullified-bruising-tactics-battling-Prenton-Park-men/article-3486819-detail/article.html

If whoever did that article posts on here I'd love to know if he went to the game becase I'm thinking not. What I saw was a complete outclass (one we're not used to seeing. At all. It was our first 4-0 home win for 6 years) and a team who didn't let the other, who were chasing the play offs, play their own game. Rovers closed your boys down every time they got the ball and forced you to hoof it long every time, something you clearly weren't used to doing.

To call our performance 'distinctly average', say that there was 'very little classy about Tranmere's play' and to refer to us as 'A bunch of big, burly bruisers who bullied and harassed' (it's worth noting that City picked up both of the games 2 yellow cards) just smacks of sour grapes to me.

Anyone share his extreme views, or was I at the right game afterall?
Best of luck for the future lads

**** Sorry! Web links not allowed for new users ****
This is an effort to combat spam postings. We apologise for any inconvenience.
tbh from what i have seen of Tranmere from our time in lge 1 is that your not much good at playing actual football but you are effective at getting referees on side(Especially at home) to allow you to kick and batter teams. We where shockinly poor yesterday. Lets be honest to lose to your team youve had this season to lose at all generally means the other team have been poor. We lost to Hartlepool and Yeovil this season at home and theyre both poor teams!

Fair play to you though yesterday it worked and you beat us fair and square but to say your a classy outfight etr is extreme in my book but yesterday you where better so therefore won the game. We probly played the worst weve played all season. I wouldnt say its sour grapes as the journalist states that your effective etr. We used to play like that under blakey but we wernt effective at all!

Last edited:

Poultice

A deal for Les? We'll pay you to take him away if you want
Jesus, Benny fecks the Scallies and they love him, Les saves you twice and you want rid, what a difference that stream makes.

whiteox

Before the game whilst walking to the chippy, an old timer Tranny supporter asked "do you play football or are you a hoof and dash team?". Our response was "a footballing team". He then replied "good, because all we seem to see is hoof and dash". As the game progressed it was obvious to see that Tranmere tend to play that way and other teams are forced to revert to the same tactics. This is very effective but it only gets you so far. That's why hoof and dash teams never really get anywhere, sooner or later 'good' teams learn how to deal with this even though it might not be pretty. City's problem is that we are a good team but we have not learnt quite yet how to deal with the 'hoof and dash' brigade. Once (or if) we do...well...we can go places. It's probably equally as hard for Tranmere to learn how to be a good football playing team.
I don't think it was our style of play that brushed off on you. It doesn't work like that. We just got in your faces and didn't give you time on the ball, thus forcing you to play long ball. Our numbers 8 and 10 chased everything and gave your midfield very little time to pick out a pass and all you had in the first half was the ball over the top to Cureton who should've put you 1 up.

I still think we passed more than we hoofed yesterday though. That's still sour grapes to me. None of our goals or chances came from long balls and the only one who did it all the time was our number 12, but he always does anyway so it's nothing new.

The fans of every team we beat away from home seem to think we were poor and everytime a team beats us at prenton park, our fans label them the same. To me, it's no coincidence but I know that if you had played like we did yesterday and vice versa and won 4-0, we'd all be saying 'that's why they're near the play offs'

Last edited:

Grecian_Jay

Looks like our fans are adopting the morninc approach of Wenger. Teams can play however they bloody want. It is up to us to adapt to coping with sides like this rather than give up and say "ah well they were physical". You do what you have to do win, Tranmere played hard, so what.

whiteox

Jesus, Benny fecks the Scallies and they love him, Les saves you twice and you want rid, what a difference that stream makes.
If only it were that simple mate. That's why the media love the 'physio fairytale'; they don't know what he's actually doing to us. Only the fans know it and it's rotten. Dead rotten

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looks like our fans are adopting the morninc approach of Wenger. Teams can play however they bloody want. It is up to us to adapt to coping with sides like this rather than give up and say "ah well they were physical". You do what you have to do win, Tranmere played hard, so what.
Totally agree with you there, Mr Jay.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only the fans know it and it's rotten. Dead rotten
If ever a written sentence could sound scouse :)

Gert lush.

Poultice

If only it were that simple mate. That's why the media love the 'physio fairytale'; they don't know what he's actually doing to us. Only the fans know it and it's rotten. Dead rotten
Oh come on, he took over when Barnsey finally got shoved leaving you rock bottom with a twelve year old playing in goal and two bob in the bank. Not only did he save you last year from an 'impossible' position but this year has moved you on to mid table status, bit of respect Shirley ?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh come on, he took over when Barnsey finally got shoved leaving you rock bottom with a twelve year old playing in goal and two bob in the bank. Not only did he save you last year from an 'impossible' position but this year has moved you on to mid table status, bit of respect Shirley ?
Are you trying to be funny, Poultsy? :)