• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A conundrum Exeter City v Stevenage Tuesday 21 January Kick off 7.00 p.m.

i8cornwall

I guess that’s it though, the EFL don’t care either way if we attend or not.
Everyone knows their rebrand and introduction of B teams has been a failure, but they’ll plough on regardless of fans views. So I’d rather go support the lads, because me boycotting won’t make a difference to those currently in charge.

That’s not to say I don’t understand and support those who are still boycotting, but for me I’d just rather see the team play because imo nothing’s changing under the current EFL leadership.
If people want to attend that is fine, my wife and farther in law attended the last game and was there first at SJP and had a great time.

The whole point of the boycott was to send a message out to the EFL that fans would not put up with B teams in the league. I’d rather protest and make a statement regardless of the EFL are listening or not.

Not aiming this at you personally so no offence intended at all but people seem to have lost interest in safe guarding our league system for future generations to enjoy all in the name of “being a super fan”

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
EFL make up any losses a club has from hosting games in this competition so they really fully aware that clubs would lose money and still don’t care what fans think.
I don't think you are right there i8c. :(
Whilst I admit that Rule 26.5 does allow for consideration of the home club having any losses covered this applies only in the group stages and only at the EFLs discretion. The default position clearly states that, barring the above, the home club is expected to cover all losses.

Rules 25 & 26 also imply that the visiting club's (quite generous) travelling expenses can be claimed from the match proceeds and, even in the unlikely event of the fixture returning a nett profit, the hosting club still only retains 45%.

All of the above suggest to me that, despite severe reservations about the concept and construction of this competition as may Grecians as possible should still strive to help the club avoid as far as possible an unnecessary and unwanted financial hit should the prize money for winning he tie not materialise?

DB9

Is this the same Stevenage that Westley said should be or either will be in the Championship soon the other day in an interview?

i8cornwall

I don't think you are right there i8c. :(
Whilst I admit that Rule 26.5 does allow for consideration of the home club having any losses covered this applies only in the group stages and only at the EFLs discretion. The default position clearly states that, barring the above, the home club is expected to cover all losses.

Rules 25 & 26 also imply that the visiting club's (quite generous) travelling expenses can be claimed from the match proceeds and, even in the unlikely event of the fixture returning a nett profit, the hosting club still only retains 45%.

All of the above suggest to me that, despite severe reservations about the concept and construction of this competition as may Grecians as possible should still strive to help the club avoid as far as possible an unnecessary and unwanted financial hit should the prize money for winning he tie not materialise?
Oh really I had only read the very long thread on the twitter account against league three a while ago. (one I’d fully recommend to anyone interested in keeping track of these sorts of things)

Sadly if the club makes a loss from hosting these games then so be it, the Boycott will start to have the desired effect on clubs. Surly city would make a loss if B teams are/when B teams are introduced into the league anyway.

Matt Russell

EFL Trophy specifically. Do you not see a difference in being part of a boycott against teams who voted for this format and being part of a boycott against a team who voted against the format?

i8cornwall

EFL Trophy specifically. Do you not see a difference in being part of a boycott against teams who voted for this format and being part of a boycott against a team who voted against the format?
Eventually voted against it but that isn’t the point now.

I wouldn’t no, it’s a boycott of the competition as a whole and the wider damage B Teams could and will have on football in this country.

Bolton where in the trophy this year and I’ve had nothing to do with this competition nor would I still have anything to do with it.

IndoMike

The assumption is that the Premier League wants to invade the Football League and that this competition is a precursor to that.
But we don't yet know that is a fact
Imo the time for protests, boycotts etc is if they start talking about specific plans to integrate PL teams into a football league division. In that case the protests need to be well organised and united. The only way to stop it is to.make an awful lot of noise.

Grecian2K

i8c

Of course that is entirely your choice and acknowledge the undoubted strength of your feelings, but to try and incite a witch hunt to the detriment of the ECFC finances is surely "cutting off the nose to spite the face".

As things stand at present the rules of the body that cover not only this competition (joke that it may be) but also the main business of 46 game league football unambiguously state that all member club's HAVE to compete. Like it or loath it, we are obliged to suck it up.

I am in no way setting out as a defender of the competition but, in a way, by using it as our own little "under 23" run out we have actually - by carefully making use of the somewhat relaxed selection rules - turned it to actual longer term advantage by largely fielding our youth team (perhaps strengthened by a handful of senior pros doing rehab from injury) given them real experience in an "adult" competition. In this respect we are, ironically, almost like one of those invited but unwanted PL kids teams.

And, as has been said, most of our "kids" have played out of their skins so far (as is continuing to be exemplified in the U23 Cup). I'm sure that the experience of having played so well, especially in the games against those club's currently 4th and 5th in L1 will not have harmed their development. And, as has been said, the games have been quite entertaining as well!

So, by all means, if your principles and conscience so dictate, please continue your boycott, but please, please try not to use this forum as a soapbox to try and suck further support (and finance) as we enter into the final stages?

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Go if you want but nobody in the history of football has ever been to a game because of the draw of watching Stevenage
This includes "fans" of Stevenage.

i8cornwall

i8c

Of course that is entirely your choice and acknowledge the undoubted strength of your feelings, but to try and incite a witch hunt to the detriment of the ECFC finances is surely "cutting off the nose to spite the face".

As things stand at present the rules of the body that cover not only this competition (joke that it may be) but also the main business of 46 game league football unambiguously state that all member club's HAVE to compete. Like it or loath it, we are obliged to suck it up.

I am in no way setting out as a defender of the competition but, in a way, by using it as our own little "under 23" run out we have actually - by carefully making use of the somewhat relaxed selection rules - turned it to actual longer term advantage by largely fielding our youth team (perhaps strengthened by a handful of senior pros doing rehab from injury) given them real experience in an "adult" competition. In this respect we are, ironically, almost like one of those invited but unwanted PL kids teams.

And, as has been said, most of our "kids" have played out of their skins so far (as is continuing to be exemplified in the U23 Cup). I'm sure that the experience of having played so well, especially in the games against those club's currently 4th and 5th in L1 will not have harmed their development. And, as has been said, the games have been quite entertaining as well!

So, by all means, if your principles and conscience so dictate, please continue your boycott, but please, please try not to use this forum as a soapbox to try and suck further support (and finance) as we enter into the final stages?
Just to clear up as I’m sure you have missed it, the opening post was question of should they or shouldn’t they attend the game. I’m merely giving my thoughts on why people or this person shouldn’t attend, mainly before everyone flooded the thread with the super fan/support the lads/the club would be poor etc stuff. Not trying to incite anything, the club and trust know my feelings about this competition.

For someone who isn’t setting out to defend the competition you could have fooled me though.