• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A conundrum Exeter City v Stevenage Tuesday 21 January Kick off 7.00 p.m.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
personally it is an opportunity to see Stevenage this season
Go if you want but nobody in the history of football has ever been to a game because of the draw of watching Stevenage

Colesman Ballz

Go if you want but nobody in the history of football has ever been to a game because of the draw of watching Stevenage
Indeed I had hoped that we had left Westley's brand of "anti football" and Stevenage far behind when we escaped the Conference, Indeed the "beautiful game" would benefit if they find themselves back there come the end of April.

tonykellowfan

Matt Russell raises a thought provoking appeal and put like that it does start to make sense as an Exeter fan, but i'm with i8cornwall. It's a joke competition and even if I could get I wouldn't out of principle. I'd be a hypocrite if I attended any game in the competition, including the final.
I find this a strange attitude. View it like a mid-season friendly. Plenty of fans go to the pre-season friendlies, why does the competition matter? It's a chance to watch your team play.

Legohead

Banned
I find this a strange attitude. View it like a mid-season friendly. Plenty of fans go to the pre-season friendlies, why does the competition matter? It's a chance to watch your team play.

It's a personal protest against the devaluation of the competition by the introduction of U23 sides.

I'm all for changing things up to try and improve things but by introducing the U23 sides it has had the opposite effect.

Crowds across the board for all clubs in this competition have been at an all time low so I'm not the only one who has the strange attitude. There are millions of us who think the same.

jimmy

People have definitely got their point across.

The EFL Auto-glass shield trophy cup early rounds used to get lower than league games, but not too much lower.

I am amazed to see that punters really did vote with their feet and some games (in the hundreds) must literally have been friends, family and those heavily associated with the club.

EFL don't seem to have reacted at all. I do however hope they think twice before they even consider a youth/B team involved with clubs that have been around for 100+ years.

If City get to Wembley I'll fly back from the other side of the world to see 'em..won't be making Stevenage though!

denzel

People have definitely got their point across.

The EFL Auto-glass shield trophy cup early rounds used to get lower than league games, but not too much lower.

I am amazed to see that punters really did vote with their feet and some games (in the hundreds) must literally have been friends, family and those heavily associated with the club.

EFL don't seem to have reacted at all. I do however hope they think twice before they even consider a youth/B team involved with clubs that have been around for 100+ years.

If City get to Wembley I'll fly back from the other side of the world to see 'em..won't be making Stevenage though!
The point hasn't been got across because they voted last season to carry it on in this format. The EFL see it as a success, and a Sunderland v Pompey final last year helped.
As for me, the only visit to London I'll be doing this season is to watch us at Orient, for what would hopefully be a proper celebration.
Wembley is decidedly 'meh'.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Go if you want to go, don't go if you don't want to go. I won't think any less of anyone either way.

If I were around God's Own City next Tuesday night I'd go to the Park, I love to see City in action in whatever competition (and bear in mind I'm only at a few matches per season so I don't get City "fatigue"). I'm sure our success up to now has been very beneficial to the coffers too.

i8cornwall

The point hasn't been got across because they voted last season to carry it on in this format. The EFL see it as a success, and a Sunderland v Pompey final last year helped.
As for me, the only visit to London I'll be doing this season is to watch us at Orient, for what would hopefully be a proper celebration.
City voted against the competition, told we where one of three clubs to do so but then again why would clubs vote against a trophy that they can gain all that bribe money from the Premier league in?

Pete Martin (CTID)

The Ipswich game was the first in this competition that I had ever gone to since the format was changed.

I have to be honest and say that, as a match, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I still don't agree with the way the format has been altered. My main concern is that, knowing that the PL had floated a proposal a while back the introduction of a League 3 into the EFL and to allow PL 'B teams' to enter the EFL, this was (and still possibly remains) a 'back door' way of changing minds over that particular idea, even though it was originally rejected.

Having said that, it is what it is. Clubs generally like it, so do managers and it gives emerging players opportunities in a real competition (although the previous format also did that) and, of course, the money is attractive to lower league clubs.

I have got my ticket for the Stevenage game.

jimmy

Agreed. As I said, the EFL don't seem to have reacted at all [to the shockingly low attendances].

I would however go to Wembley, for the day out and potentially good money for a highly ethical club playing in a questionable competition.