• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A conundrum Exeter City v Stevenage Tuesday 21 January Kick off 7.00 p.m.

StudentGrecian

It’s a strange one for me, I boycotted last season. I believe the attendances showed the EFL that premier league B teams were not welcome.
However do they care? They aren’t losing money, it’s the clubs who are losing the gate money. The Only thing the EFL care about is money, and they couldn’t even get that right with the lacklustre TV deal they signed of behalf of the members.
So I’ve started going again, puts money into the club and I get to watch some of our young talent, before they get picked off for peanuts (which incidentally the EFL should be doing more about).

Red red

Live in South Glos so not always easy for me to attend.
Me and my son will travelling down.
Third EFL game this season.
Sod which comp ECFC are playing

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Live in South Glos so not always easy for me to attend.
Me and my son will travelling down.
Third EFL game this season.
Sod which comp ECFC are playing
And there I was concerned about my hour trek to the ground. Good for you

i8cornwall

It’s a strange one for me, I boycotted last season. I believe the attendances showed the EFL that premier league B teams were not welcome.
However do they care? They aren’t losing money, it’s the clubs who are losing the gate money. The Only thing the EFL care about is money, and they couldn’t even get that right with the lacklustre TV deal they signed of behalf of the members.
So I’ve started going again, puts money into the club and I get to watch some of our young talent, before they get picked off for peanuts (which incidentally the EFL should be doing more about).
EFL make up any losses a club has from hosting games in this competition so they really fully aware that clubs would lose money and still don’t care what fans think.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Supporters have made their feelings known by the dire home attendance against Oxford,450 (inc over 100 from Oxford)
The reluctance from supporters about the competition has been made loud & clear to the club.
The point has been made.
Now is the time to try to support the Grecians to the final.

I have enjoyed all of the games in the run this season.
Hopefully a couple more to come.

Legohead

Banned
The facts are that the EFL have decimated and devalued the competition from the perspective of paying football supporters. That's a fact. We've seen the alarming drop in attendances across the board for games in this mickey mouse trophy.

If the EFL cannot take this competition seriously, which i don't believe they do otherwise they wouldn't be using it as a guinea pig for their various pea brained ideas then why should the fans?

What they need to do next season is revert back to the original format for a start and then take it from there. The indication is that the longer the current format continues, the further what remaining interest there is amongst fans for the competition will diminish.

There are a small minority of fans from each club who are happy just to go and watch their side play which is fair enough but at least they could have the honesty to admit this and it's not that they are desperate to see an EFL trophy game. These fans who turn up mostly just want to support their team which is absolutely fine. Just like they would do if it were a friendly.

LOG

EFL make up any losses a club has from hosting games in this competition so they really fully aware that clubs would lose money and still don’t care what fans think.
If you conclude that the EFL don't care what fans think and, subsequently, won't make any changes to the format, isn't that more reason to go to the games? This is admitting that your no-show protests are falling on deaf ears so all you're doing is depriving the club of money.

StudentGrecian

I guess that’s it though, the EFL don’t care either way if we attend or not.
Everyone knows their rebrand and introduction of B teams has been a failure, but they’ll plough on regardless of fans views. So I’d rather go support the lads, because me boycotting won’t make a difference to those currently in charge.

That’s not to say I don’t understand and support those who are still boycotting, but for me I’d just rather see the team play because imo nothing’s changing under the current EFL leadership.

Colesman Ballz

I predict that Westley's tactics will be to disrupt and break up the flow of the game by any means possible. Irrespective of how one views the competition, I suspect there will only be one side trying to play decent football, and they won't be from Hertfordshire !

Matt Russell

The EFL making up any losses is not the same as the club making a profit. Surely after reaching break even point, the more fans who attend the match means that the club receives greater income.