• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Favourite away ground

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
For atmosphere, I only ever went to Newcastle once for the FA Cup in 1981, but it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Passion beyond anything I've ever seen before or since.
That was a great day out. We nearly hit a big block of wood on the AI(M) on the way back, I wasn't driving but was glad I was wearing brown trousers. ;)

Legohead

Banned
I've also been to Newcastle. It was the first home game after Faustino Asprilla I think it was scored a hat trick in Europe for them. I was with some Hull fan mates when Hull were still in the old Division 3 in the 90's and it was a league cup game on a Tuesday night. Awesome ground and experience. I've not been to the new Spurs ground but I've been to a few Prem grounds including Old Trafford and Newcastle is the best ground I've been to in the UK so far.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
For atmosphere, I only ever went to Newcastle once for the FA Cup in 1981, but it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Passion beyond anything I've ever seen before or since.
Same with me..We will never experience that again.

I was shaking with nerves,anticipation & the threat of it all kicking off in the unsegregated Grandstand at any moment 😁..What a time to experience & to be alive.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sadly many of my favourites are no longer with us - Underhill, Gay Meadow, Vetch Field and even grounds like Christie Park and the Old Lawn which I enjoyed visiting in our Conference days.
I know it's a while since we played there but I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Plainmoor. Clearly it's not one of the country's great stadia or intimidating home crowds but, unlike Yeovil, the away end is pretty decent and allows the City fans to generate a decent bit of noise.

grecIAN Harris

I've also been to Newcastle. It was the first home game after Faustino Asprilla I think it was scored a hat trick in Europe for them. I was with some Hull fan mates when Hull were still in the old Division 3 in the 90's and it was a league cup game on a Tuesday night. Awesome ground and experience. I've not been to the new Spurs ground but I've been to a few Prem grounds including Old Trafford and Newcastle is the best ground I've been to in the UK so far.
That hattrick was only against Barcelona in The Champions League.

Legohead

Banned
That hattrick was only against Barcelona in The Champions League.
Haha yes that was it. Barca. I remember now saying to my mates that the fans who previously sat in these seats and were in this away end were Barcelona fans. Barcelona and Hull eh? What a contrast.

Red Devon

Oldham - Boundary Park has become one of my favourites...something about the place that gives off a good footballing vibe..if you can avoid one of the pillars you also get a good view of the game from the back of that old away end.👍

Also like the Valley Charlton

Brentford

Crawley pretty good if you can get a favourable run with the traffic on the M25/23 just a two minute drive off the motorway and you can be parked up...like the close to the pitch covered standing away end there.

Cambridge Abbey Stadium another good one.

Have also enjoyed a couple of trips to The Hive at Barnet a nice little community complex they have there.

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Always liked the Abbey Stadium.Cambridge.I must have been around 14 times over the years.
The drive is a ball breaker from Exeter/Devon though.

Red Devon

^^^^
Always liked the Abbey Stadium.Cambridge.I must have been around 14 times over the years.
The drive is a ball breaker from Exeter/Devon though.
By train it’s not a bad walk from the Station along through the park that leads up to the away end.

Oldsmobile-88

By train it’s not a bad walk from the Station along through the park that leads up to the away end.
Yep..Travelled by train a few times,typical of me I have never gone that way 😁 Always ended up walking the long way back(about 3 miles iirc)