• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crewe Alexandra v Exeter City Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree with you that we need the second striker. That man was supposed to be Ajose
IMO Martin isn't a natural striker (neither is Bowman). I thought Martin was supposed to be an energy midfielder to help press : I thought that was Matt's original plan.
I have no problem with giving Seymour a run if he is ready, but I insist that if the midfield was just Archie, Law and Taylor and with no defensive midfielder either then we might have difficulties stopping counter attacks and creating chances.
That's why I said we need 12' men.
Archie is the holding playing of the three. Bowman is at least a forward (target man if you really wish to label him) whereas Martin is a midfielder (for me he will always be best deployed wide on the right in a four or five man midfield). Taylor should be the energy player of the three midfielders and Law, very obviously, the most creative. Having Martin in midfield of that side is just overcooking and there is even a tendancy, as I said earlier, to overplaying.

IndoMike

I think your point is wrong. It only ever changes when substitutions are made but we are currently starting with three at the back and two wing backs. Archie, Taylor and Law in the middle with Martin playing off of Bowman up front. And therein lies the problem. Martin isn't getting in the box enough and hasn't got the instincts when he does get in there and Bowman is doing to much work to get into the right positions. We need a proper striker in the box to put the chances away. Taking Martin away from that forward role and replacing him with a proper striker is only going to enhance our chances of winning because the chances created will be taken rather than wasted as they are at the moment.

Delete not working...sigh

IndoMike

Archie is the holding playing of the three. Bowman is at least a forward (target man if you really wish to label him) whereas Martin is a midfielder (for me he will always be best deployed wide on the right in a four or five man midfield). Taylor should be the energy player of the three midfielders and Law, very obviously, the most creative. Having Martin in midfield of that side is just overcooking and there is even a tendancy, as I said earlier, to overplaying.
Whatever, the team's not quite right. I know Bowman works bloody hard and the fans like that, but I like the striker to strike. We are relying too much on our midfielders to get the goals .
It's a bloody shame when we dominate games like v. Crewe in the 1st half but can't put the game to bed
It will be interesting to see how Atangana fits in.

grecIAN Harris

Whatever, the team's not quite right. I know Bowman works bloody hard and the fans like that, but I like the striker to strike. We are relying too much on our midfielders to get the goals .
It's a bloody shame when we dominate games like v. Crewe in the 1st half but can't put the game to bed
It will be interesting to see how Atangana fits in.
Either one of Taylor or Collins will make way. There's no way you can drop Nicky Law.

IndoMike

Either one of Taylor or Collins will make way. There's no way you can drop Nicky Law.
In that case it's bound to be Archie, which would be a bit unfair cos he's not even playing in his arguably best position yet hasn't let the side down.

grecIAN Harris

In that case it's bound to be Archie, which would be a bit unfair cos he's not even playing in his arguably best position yet hasn't let the side down.
I wouldn't bet on it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
So not a penalty when Lee Martin was pulled down in the box? Wasn't sure at the time, and still not sure. We need VAR :)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

grecIAN Harris

How has that not been given? Has Pete gone all Arsne blind in Arizona 'I cannot comment because I did not see the incident' over this excellent refereeing performance?

hardi2b

I can't comment on Pete's viewing options but, have to point out that I too missed it because of buffering issues on my internet service.