• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Crewe Alexandra v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
No I don’t agree that Lee Martin is playing as a striker ,in certain
parts of games he has been push further Up to play along side
Bowman depending on the game situation ,but on the whole no.

We would all love for us to play two out and out strikers,
but taking a midfielder out might change how we control
games especially away from home and create the chances
we at the moment keep missing.
What's the point in controlling the game if you can't put the ball in the back of the net? And as for Lee Martin, join all the dots up. He moaned when he was playing wide that he wanted to play more centrally and now he's saying that he's playing in a more advanced role than he'd like. He is an attacking midfielder be it centrally or wide so if he is playing in a more advanced role than he'd like, where does that leave him? The only place more advanced than attacking midfielder us up front.

IndoMike

No I don’t agree that Lee Martin is playing as a striker ,in certain
parts of games he has been push further Up to play along side
Bowman depending on the game situation ,but on the whole no.

We would all love for us to play two out and out strikers,
but taking a midfielder out might change how we control
games especially away from home and create the chances
we at the moment keep missing.
That was my point entirely..

grecIAN Harris

That was my point entirely..
I think your point is wrong. It only ever changes when substitutions are made but we are currently starting with three at the back and two wing backs. Archie, Taylor and Law in the middle with Martin playing off of Bowman up front. And therein lies the problem. Martin isn't getting in the box enough and hasn't got the instincts when he does get in there and Bowman is doing to much work to get into the right positions. We need a proper striker in the box to put the chances away. Taking Martin away from that forward role and replacing him with a proper striker is only going to enhance our chances of winning because the chances created will be taken rather than wasted as they are at the moment.

Red red

We have to put Seymour up front now at least until Ajose back or January. Strikers score most of the goals simple

Red Devon

I think your point is wrong. It only ever changes when substitutions are made but we are currently starting with three at the back and two wing backs. Archie, Taylor and Law in the middle with Martin playing off of Bowman up front. And therein lies the problem. Martin isn't getting in the box enough and hasn't got the instincts when he does get in there and Bowman is doing to much work to get into the right positions. We need a proper striker in the box to put the chances away. Taking Martin away from that forward role and replacing him with a proper striker is only going to enhance our chances of winning because the chances created will be taken rather than wasted as they are at the moment.
Bowman is getting into the positions it’s his finishing that is the problem, just look at that chance he lifted over the crossbar from 12 yards in the first half yesterday...there was also a header that the Radio Devon commentary team could quite believe he messed up (had too much time the said)...agree with your earlier comment on Seymour starting though sniffing out chances from 10 yards is what he was born for.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
But if you take out a creative player like Lee Martin the probability is that you will create less chances which is what happened at the start of the season when Ajose played alongside Bowman. Personally I would like to see us experiment without a big man up front and play Seymour alongside Lee Martin.

grecIAN Harris

But if you take out a creative player like Lee Martin the probability is that you will create less chances which is what happened at the start of the season when Ajose played alongside Bowman. Personally I would like to see us experiment without a big man up front and play Seymour alongside Lee Martin.
If anything, you're reducing the amount of room Nicky Law has to play in and even overplaying between the pair of them. Regardless, if you're creating chances, irrespective of how many, you need to finish them. It's better to create less chances but put a better percentage of the reduced amount away than it is to create more and more and not put any away.

IndoMike

I agree with you that we need the second striker. That man was supposed to be Ajose
IMO Martin isn't a natural striker (neither is Bowman). I thought Martin was supposed to be an energy midfielder to help press : I thought that was Matt's original plan.
I have no problem with giving Seymour a run if he is ready, but I insist that if the midfield was just Archie, Law and Taylor and with no defensive midfielder either then we might have difficulties stopping counter attacks and creating chances.
That's why I said we need 12' men.

grecIAN Harris

Bowman is getting into the positions it’s his finishing that is the problem, just look at that chance he lifted over the crossbar from 12 yards in the first half yesterday...there was also a header that the Radio Devon commentary team could quite believe he messed up (had too much time the said)...agree with your earlier comment on Seymour starting though sniffing out chances from 10 yards is what he was born for.
If last Saturday is anything to go by, is he? Look a bit more closely at his positioning. Last Saturday he was getting touchline side of the near post therefore having to flick or twist to get his efforts in on goal reducing power and accuracy. If he was inside of the near post his efforts are square on so he is able to put the maximum of both power and accuracy into his efforts.