• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Stevenage Matchday Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
This sounds like a typical Div 2 match with City having some extra quality which led us through against a niggly, defensive team. Congratz - we could have slipped up in this kind of game.
Like everyone else I hope that the person who was taken ill makes a swift recovery.

PeteUSA

For all their possesion they didn't really trouble us and we made by far the clearer chances. We snatched at them though and I think we could have won by more if we were a little more composed.
I agree Scott. Pym didnt have one single save to make, as I recall. Come to think of it, I dont think their keeper did either? The goal their keeper let in was totally embarrasing. I think I would have dealt with that, even given my advanced years!

manc grecian

He saved one in the first 30 seconds where he tipped Stockleys shot on to the bar.

Swanaldo

Congratz - we could have slipped up in this kind of game.
A year ago, we probably would have.

Seven games unbeaten in all competitions, another clean sheet, second in the league and the third best goal difference tally - bloody loving it at the moment!

STURTZ

All been said, think we should cut Holmes some slack as he's just coming back from injury, I thought that was our best available team out there tonight, perhaps Tilson for Taylor might have secured us more possession. Agree that our direct free kicks were crap, thought Sweeny had a solid game.

PeteUSA

He saved one in the first 30 seconds where he tipped Stockleys shot on to the bar.
I didnt see it manc. iFollow was all over the place for the first 12 minutes during which we were treated to Argyles commentary and some of their camera footage. Most unusual given iFollows excellent coverage so far this season.

All been said, think we should cut Holmes some slack as he's just coming back from injury, I thought that was our best available team out there tonight, perhaps Tilson for Taylor might have secured us more possession. Agree that our direct free kicks were crap, thought Sweeny had a solid game.
Don’t understand the negativity for Taylor. He is playing a completely different role to last year where he was far more attacking and scored 8 goals. He’s back at corners, free kicks and doing the dirty work and works his butt off, playing to his namesakes instructions,giving license to other players to get forward.
In the past some comments have been that our midfield is lightweight and you could drive a bus through the middle of it but so far this season no side has done that, play it wide and we generally are a lot more solid as a unit
I think he is a player that for some reason a lot of fans will never warm to and fair play to him for signing a new contract in the Summer to play for a club he obviously loves, shame it’s not reciprocated.
The comment about the captaincy being too much for him is pathetic - he captained the side last year and you can tell the players respect him and there was obviously a reason MT made him his captain.

Thought we were dominant tbh, and a class above Stevenage who are good for this division. Should have been more but were wasteful.
Were you there? I was. Second half I thought they were excellent in possession and spread it wide. 50/50 went their way and I thought we were looking at a replay of Port Vale at the weekend. If they had have had a proper finisher, they'd have done is good and proper! I didn't see us a difference in class as they were a well decent side. Didn't see Law as Mom as Aaron Martin was outstanding and Sweeney is rapidly becoming a proper right back.

Colesman Ballz

Great result, and the Gimps losing to the Trannies was the icing on the cake ! :)

Pete Martin (CTID)

Don’t understand the negativity for Taylor. He is playing a completely different role to last year where he was far more attacking and scored 8 goals. He’s back at corners, free kicks and doing the dirty work and works his butt off, playing to his namesakes instructions,giving license to other players to get forward.
In the past some comments have been that our midfield is lightweight and you could drive a bus through the middle of it but so far this season no side has done that, play it wide and we generally are a lot more solid as a unit
I think he is a player that for some reason a lot of fans will never warm to and fair play to him for signing a new contract in the Summer to play for a club he obviously loves, shame it’s not reciprocated.
The comment about the captaincy being too much for him is pathetic - he captained the side last year and you can tell the players respect him and there was obviously a reason MT made him his captain.
Absolutely. Season before last he was the players' Player of the Year', which tells you all you need to know about how they rate him.