• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor Assistant

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Paul Tisdale?
Must be Mackie

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Must be Mackie
Unless he's ready to hang up his boots [and I'd guess he's not quite at that stage yet], don't reckon it's Jamie that Matt has in mind:

Asked about the possibility of combing playing and coaching roles, Taylor said: “I want my coaches to coach and be in charge of the sessions, but if a candidate comes in that is outstanding and still playing, then it would be naïve of me to rule that out and I would certainly consider it.”

From https://www.devonlive.com/sport/matt-taylor-wants-bring-two-1642124

IndoMike

Unless he's ready to hang up his boots [and I'd guess he's not quite at that stage yet], don't reckon it's Jamie that Matt has in mind:

Asked about the possibility of combing playing and coaching roles, Taylor said: “I want my coaches to coach and be in charge of the sessions, but if a candidate comes in that is outstanding and still playing, then it would be naïve of me to rule that out and I would certainly consider it.”

From https://www.devonlive.com/sport/matt-taylor-wants-bring-two-1642124
Egg : “I want my coaches to coach and be in charge of the sessions, but if a candidate comes in that is outstanding and still playing, then it would be naïve of me to rule that out and I would certainly consider it.”.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
An experienced coach is important given how inexperienced Matt is as a manager - City have had a punt on Taylor and not considered all the other managers with experience....so an experienced assistant makes sense in terms of support

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Egg : “I want my coaches to coach and be in charge of the sessions, but if a candidate comes in that is outstanding and still playing, then it would be naïve of me to rule that out and I would certainly consider it.”.
I appreciate he doesn't completely rule it out. However, the way I read it, Matt's feeling is that coaches should be coaches, players should be players, and that muddling the two causes unnecessary and unhelpful complications.

IndoMike

I appreciate he doesn't completely rule it out. However, the way I read it, Matt's feeling is that coaches should be coaches, players should be players, and that muddling the two causes unnecessary and unhelpful complications.
Well, I agree that he would prefer each to his own, but anyway - let's see - he'll do what's best

STURTZ

Aparently applications for assistant are coming in thick and fast, sounds like it's Jamie Mackie then!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
As Mackie has been released by QPR we don't need him as a coach we can get him as a player, for the last couple of years of his career. Perfek. Him and stockley up top would be very good for L2 IMO.

Colesman Ballz

What's with all this Mackie manure ? People seem to have very short memories. Iirc, didn't he leave under a cloud ? Called in a sickie at the Cat n Fiddle, only to be found meeting up with the Slime manager in a hotel in Jannerland ? Forcing through a January window move whilst we were on a promotion push from the Conference. Not a proper chap !

Yes, he may have been a player who worked his socks off to improve himself, but that was years ago. Matt Taylor seems to be clearing out the injury prone dross from the squad, why on earth would we want to sign another ?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
What's with all this Mackie manure ? People seem to have very short memories. Iirc, didn't he leave under a cloud ? Called in a sickie at the Cat n Fiddle, only to be found meeting up with the Slime manager in a hotel in Jannerland ? Forcing through a January window move whilst we were on a promotion push from the Conference. Not a proper chap !

Yes, he may have been a player who worked his socks off to improve himself, but that was years ago. Matt Taylor seems to be clearing out the injury prone dross from the squad, why on earth would we want to sign another ?
i couldn't care less that Mackie signed for the Greens. We were Conference at the time and they were Championship. he left for the good of his career and it served him well as he went on to score many goals in the Prem/Championship. I'd have him back without any hard feelings.