• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
The reaction of Gove, Hunt, Johnson and now Hammond seems to imply they think it's a vote winner.
Sorry, I remain unconvinced. A few politico's just after an election playing games methinks. Certainly not a change of thinking from the Tory heartland southern voters who always appear to majority vote for low taxes. With the Tories having a mini panic currently I would be amazed frankly if they risked the south by suggesting tax rises all round. We shall see though, maybe the other parties (well, labour) will clearly and transparently put that out there and see how many southerners vote for them. I for one believe a rise in taxes to pay for things would be worth a go as austerity does not appear to be denting that debt mountain, and one does worry about the next generation, even though clearly there are many who don't give a stuff :)

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
You did, Rae. My apologies. Well, I guess it's a question of which source you believe. It does seem hard to believe that manufacturing is not on the decline. What are we manufacturing?
You're both right. The piece in the manufacturer that Rae refers to points out that whilst it is on the decline it still makes up a significant part of GVA etc. Significantly more than farming (which takes up 70% of our land area) and fishing (which gets a disproportionate amount of attention in the EU debate). Statistics can point in every direction of course, so whilst we may be the 8th largest manufacturer, as a percentage of GDP our industry ranks amongst the lowest, and well below the EU average.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
You're both right. The piece in the manufacturer that Rae refers to points out that whilst it is on the decline it still makes up a significant part of GVA etc. Significantly more than farming (which takes up 70% of our land area) and fishing (which gets a disproportionate amount of attention in the EU debate). Statistics can point in every direction of course, so whilst we may be the 8th largest manufacturer, as a percentage of GDP our industry ranks amongst the lowest, and well below the EU average.
Sorry "amongst the lowest" is misleading. Bottom third definitely.

IndoMike

Thanks for the added info. In my opinion this is still a matter for concern and does indeed represent a decline, although the relatively low cost of production in Asia has obviously played a part.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Incidentally at last look our manufacturing order book was at its highest level for 30 years last month.

tavyred

Hey. I went to Cowick St Infants.
All the best people did! :)
I was there from 1972 to 1974 (I think!)

IndoMike

Incidentally at last look our manufacturing order book was at its highest level for 30 years last month.
Due to the fall in the pound?

IndoMike

Glad to hear it, though.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Due to the fall in the pound?
It would certainly have had an impact, but you need to be making stuff in order to sell stuff.

IndoMike

It would certainly have had an impact, but you need to be making stuff in order to sell stuff.
That's true, Jason, but the quantity of items you manufacture also can depend on the orders you receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.