• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst the empire may have assisted, it was actually the invention of rail locomotion and initiating the industrial revolution that made Britain wealthy. As for manufacturing, we're still pretty good at that. And always have been, contrary to the popular press. In fact, we've just moved up another place in that league table.
Just Google "Britain's Manufacturing Decline" and you will find many articles on the topic including articles in such hallowed tomes as The New Statesman" and "Financial Times".
Yes, we have been an inventive nation : we had the advantage that our topography and lack of natural obstacles, mountains, volcanos, earthquakes, tropical jungles, climate etc allowed ideas to spread more easily. But the Empire and colonization played a huge part in the advancement of our country. The Romans helped, too.

Last edited:

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... The Romans helped, too.
How far back do you need to go to build your argument? Making tools out of flint was a good leg up as well. :)
Re google, as I said, contrary to the popular press ...

Antony Moxey

It is a neccessity.
No birth for decades in the UK has taken place without nurses and doctors on site
or at least accessible within minutes.
Nonsense. I know of at least one birth within the last decade that happened with no medical staff at the scene. Also, I wonder how those in the third world manage.

Last edited:

iscalad

Whilst the empire may have assisted, it was actually the invention of rail locomotion and initiating the industrial revolution that made Britain wealthy. As for manufacturing, we're still pretty good at that. And always have been, contrary to the popular press. In fact, we've just moved up another place in that league table.
Ah, i thought it was built on the backs of poorly paid workers, with dangerous working practices, opium wars and before that, slavery.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nonsense. I know of at least one birth within the last decade that happened with no medical staff at the scene. Also, I wonder how those in the third world manage.
Whilst I agree that it is not a given, the third world is probably not the best example given that 95% of maternal deaths happen there.

IndoMike

How far back do you need to go to build your argument? Making tools out of flint was a good leg up as well. :)
Re google, as I said, contrary to the popular press ...
What popular press? I think i have provided some specific examples. Can you do the same to support your argument?

iscalad

Even more U-turns. Looks like the election result wasn't too bad after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40496770

IndoMike

Even more U-turns. Looks like the election result wasn't too bad after all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40496770
How could they even consider that? Thatcher stopping free school milk in the 80's not enough? Heartless barstewards.

Oldsmobile-88

How could they even consider that? Thatcher stopping free school milk in the 80's not enough? Heartless barstewards.
It was around 1971 Mike...Yes I'm old enough to remember free school milk..A third of a pint iirc..

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Ah, i thought it was built on the backs of poorly paid workers, with dangerous working practices, opium wars and before that, slavery.
Indeed, isca, your thinking is a part of the whole mix.
... I think i have provided some specific examples. Can you do the same to support your argument?
I gave the specific and professional source in my quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.