• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Private School

EcFc_Maddock

brumgrecian, what year did you leave for University/Gap Year?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
A decent state education and a willingness to learn did me ok.

My laziness since, however, has not.

samoajoe

Most of the private schools offer financial plans, scholarships or other packages. You might want to ask the admission office about this. The alumni often fund students in private schools especially if they are deserving or worthy for a school aid. Good luck!

Grecian1966

Most of the private schools offer financial plans, scholarships or other packages. You might want to ask the admission office about this. The alumni often fund students in private schools especially if they are deserving or worthy for a school aid. Good luck!
Be realistic as Ant says. This is a 5 (possibly 7) year comittment therefore there's no point scraping enough together or the school discounting by a bit in year one only to find you simply can't afford year 2+ fees. Please don't forget that there are usually many other times you are going to have to find money on top - numerous extra curricular costs and the trip locations mirror the price and constantly having to say no to your child isn't pleasant. If you did start him and then have to pull him out you would probably find he may become the butt of the joke amongst his peers who can be quite 'frank' about their peers thinking they are better than they were for choosing the local school from yr 7.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I rejected the chance to sit an 11+ for Colyton. So glad I did. My school's now probably the best in Devon and I've got some really good mates as well.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Echoing the comments about state school if you work then it isn't a problem. The only problem is I was bullied constantly at St Peters. But regardless I got through it, ended up going to one of the posh universities and now have a place for a fully funded phd.

I wouldn't let the bullying sway you though, I imagine it is just as bad at private school.

Cravat 2

I rejected the chance to sit an 11+ for Colyton. So glad I did. My school's now probably the best in Devon and I've got some really good mates as well.
Which school did you go to? Colyton has a good rep, doesn't it and it's free?

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Which school did you go to? Colyton has a good rep, doesn't it and it's free?
I go to Uffculme. This upcoming year will be my last! :D

GCSE's are by and large, very easy. If the child is talented and dedicated the standard of teaching they recieve doesn't matter too much as you can just teach it to yourself. A Levels are a little trickier and it might be worth paying out a bit more for them, but as for 11-16 year olds, I really don't think it is worth stretching yourself.
The point earlier about sport was a good one though, the sport on offer at the secondary school I went to (QE) was dreadfull, facilities were very poor, the teaching was lapse and there just wasn't a competetive spirit. Cricket is my favourite sport but we didn't play it once and neither do a lot of state schools which is a shame I think.

Garth Crooks

But your blog is garbage.

Get an education boy!