• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Yay or Nay: The Royal Family

lamrobhero

I think this is spot on:

“Harry finds himself in a position not unlike that endured by a Cold War defector,” says Alex Massie in his Substack newsletter. “He has crossed to the other side with no prospect of return.” To his new paymasters, American television, he is useful for as long as his secrets are relevant and he is willing to offer them up: he will be squeezed until every last drop of gossip or innuendo has been wrung from him. Then, all that’s left is “the sad half-life of the exile, mooning around California, pleading for relevance and knowing, deep down, that it’s all downhill from here”.
This does not ring true to me.

The reaction to Mehgan and Harry gives credibility to their narrative.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster

It doesn't imo because the RF never comment on anything and we're just hearing one side. As for the American TV bit that is totally true, It's littered with "Celebs" who've sold their souls to them and once they've said everything and "Out of fashion" they're discarded and end up being very lonely, sad people who'll turn up to the opening of an envelope or go on some awful reality TV show.

arthur

P.S. Off topic briefly. Bitterly disappointed that you did not get the Long-Bailey question in the Quiz :(
Yes, apologies for just dipping in to the quiz to offer an obviously wrong answer. I have been otherwise engaged but hope in coming days to address my lack of commitment and treat your handiwork with the respect it deserves. However I suspect you are more fiendish than Spoonz and I shall undoubtedly struggle

Alistair20000

Yes, apologies for just dipping in to the quiz to offer an obviously wrong answer. I have been otherwise engaged but hope in coming days to address my lack of commitment and treat your handiwork with the respect it deserves. However I suspect you are more fiendish than Spoonz and I shall undoubtedly struggle
Nobody outfiends the Spoonzmeister :)

Alistair20000

Haw haw haw

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
When I hear about her in the news I cant help but think this is another Wallis Simpson in the making.

" Hearsay and conjecture have clouded assessment of the Duchess of Windsor's life, not helped by her own manipulation of the truth. But, in the opinion of her biographers, there is no document that proves directly that she was anything other than a victim of her own ambition, who lived out a great romance that became a great tragedy "
""she experienced the ultimate fairy tale, becoming the adored favourite of the most glamorous bachelor of his time. The idyll went wrong when, ignoring her pleas, he threw up his position to spend the rest of his life with her. "

angelic upstart

Nah, Art's substack thing is spot on. People have already chose a side and they'll not turn now because they like/dislike the RF.

tavyred

You’re right in so far as the credibility they seek is certainly not with the British public anymore, it’s with the liberal wokerati that has a powerful hold on the MSM stateside.
As we saw with the Queens funeral to portray the RF as historically and still institutionally racist is to push against an open door in the US media and as money grabbing hit jobs go this Netflix documentary is incredibly well timed.
However, as art’s excellent quote suggests, the RF always has time on its side and the Markles having nothing to look forward but growing irrelevance as they head into their own bitter middle age.

lamrobhero

... he is useful for as long as his secrets are relevant and he is willing to offer them up: he will be squeezed until every last drop of gossip or innuendo has been wrung from him. Then, all that’s left is “the sad half-life of the exile, mooning around California, pleading for relevance and knowing, deep down, that it’s all downhill from here”. ...

Really? A very narrow view of people and their lives. A need to label and objectivise others.

angelic upstart

... he is useful for as long as his secrets are relevant and he is willing to offer them up: he will be squeezed until every last drop of gossip or innuendo has been wrung from him. Then, all that’s left is “the sad half-life of the exile, mooning around California, pleading for relevance and knowing, deep down, that it’s all downhill from here”. ...

Really? A very narrow view of people and their lives. A need to label and objectivise others.
That's not necessarily the viewpoint of the author, it's the view of the press. For what is an ex member of the royal family without the press? They're just ordinary citizens in an extraordinary situation. What can Harry do from here? Other than remain in the media in some way.