• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Worst Ever Performance

robchave

Mine was a mid-week home game against Newport County, back in about 1968. It was one of those soaking, heavy drizzels, all match and I don't think either team wanted to be there. It was the worst 0-0 draw I've ever seen and I don't think either side put together more than one or two passes all game. If I remember rightly, both teams were booed off for lack of effort or, if I don't remember it correctly, they should have been - if the crowd could have worked up that much enthusiasm!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Curzon Ashton certainly takes some beating, I'd never heard of them before and I haven't heard of them since, shameful day in our history.

I'd love a good FA cup run this season.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
We were 3 - 0 down as well !

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Two for me really stick out, both under Alex Inglethorpe:

2004/5 Grays (A) - FA Trophy Q-F. While Grays were spending massively and were heading for promotion to the Conference, they were still a division below, but we were absolutely stuffed 4-1 in a "performance" where we clearly thought we'd won before we set foot on the pitch. 16 year old Gary Hooper tore us a new one, but for me it was the sight of Alex Jeannin stood, hands on hips, on the halfway line as Hooper raced down his flank to score that summed up the lack of effort.

2005/6 Burton (A) - Conference. Having been toe to toe at the top with Accrington for the first half of the season our form had dipped alarmingly by the time we visited Burton on a Friday night in February. There we turned in a display against a very poor Burton side that would have seen most Sunday pub sides turn us over, and it was only because Burton were almost as bad that we lost just 2-0 when a decent side would have put 10 past us.

Honourable mention to one of Eamonn Dolan's final matches in charge in August 2004, a 2-1 reverse at Farnborough on the Bank Holiday - they'd just been hit for seven two days earlier at Carlisle and were in complete disarray off the pitch. The atmosphere in the away end turned very ugly afterwards when Eamo came to applaud us - I was struck by a bottle that had been thrown from the away end as I tried to leave.
Can’t argue with any of that lot..That was a real drubbing at Grays Athletic...Farnborough was compounded by a vile atmosphere amongst some of the Grecian followers to the team.

Seen loads of pretty poor displays over the years,thankfully they are rarer these days.

Red Devon

1-7 At home to Brentford 1993 I think...can remember hats and scarves being thrown over the Tea Stand barriers onto the pitch in disgust.

Oldsmobile-88

1-7 At home to Brentford 1993 I think...can remember hats and scarves being thrown over the Tea Stand barriers onto the pitch in disgust.
Yep,remember that,though it was 1983..Went to Orient a week later & there was a improvement we only lost 5-1..:D Shipped some goals that season(100+) thought scored loads too(80+)

STURTZ

Lost 4:1 in the cup at Plymouth, I wanted to die.

grecIAN Harris

I think my worst two have already been mentioned in Chester and Cambridge. More recently Macclesfield at home was the worst I've seen for a long time. That was bloody awful as was the weather.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the Warrington loss would be right up there, with the added bonus of us embarrassing ourselves live on the BBC.
At least we ruined the TV people's day when they showed our tie at Didcot, hoping for more of the same!

Avening Posse

I also witnessed the 1-7 defeat to Brentford back in the early 80's. In recent times we played Torquay at home and lost (about 4 years ago, maybe 5), it sticks in my mind because it was near the end of the season and we were really struggling and needed the points, and we were absolutely dire that day. It was when Tis had a threadbare squad and was going through his "let's play people out of position" phase