• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

World T20

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't wait to see where the likes of Monty Panesar come into the equation.
Born in Luton (I think?), last time I checked that was in England. No issue there at all.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
But Morgan isnt playing test cricket for England (at present), he is playing limited overs, which he has also done for Ireland, who compete in the same competitions as England, which I think is wrong.
But by qualifying for England, he also qualifies to play Tests, something he cannot do with Ireland. I may be wrong, but at the time he switched his allegiance to England, Ireland were still not quite a fully-fledged ODI country (the rules on this have only changed in the last couple of years).

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo
So let me try and understand. Anyone born outside of England is not English. Is that right?

Last edited:

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
So let me try and understand. Anyone born outside of England is not English. Is that right?
If someone is born and lives in a country for 20 years then plays cricket/football/rugby/tiddlywinks for another country, they are certainly not of that country.

Panesar is fine, he was born here, and lived here all his life, why would there be an issue, unless you're bringing race into the equation?

Pobbop

How very Daily Mail. We won because of great bowling performances mainly, all of whom are English-born. CK and Lumb both had British parents, and KP had to go through a four year residency. When does three players make it a South African side anyway?

Why does it need to be addressed? what would you actually do? Would you say people that are qualified for an British passport can't play for England?

Last edited:

angelic upstart

It is a bit Daily Mail isn't it. I'll try and answer your questions, as best I can.

When does three players make it a South African side anyway? I never said it was an SA side, I do think that many of the English players aren't English though.

Why does it need to be addressed? I do not like having non English players in an England team, for example, I wouldn't want Almunia in goal for the national football side.

What would you actually do? In an ideal world, you choose a nation, you stick with it. I do not like the allowance of playing for a country because your nan was born there.

Would you say people that are qualified for an British passport can't play for England? Often yes, would I want a Scotsman playing for England? No I wouldn't. There is a Scottish team and he should play for them. The Scotsman would only want to play for an opposition national team on the basis of a higher status and money, to me that isn't a prerequisite to a national team. On this basis, John Barnes, for example shouldn't have played for England. He was not English, he was Jamaican. Although he would be considered English/British to me now. If that makes sense.

urinal

In the back of the Greta Garbo home for wayward bo
If someone is born and lives in a country for 20 years then plays cricket/football/rugby/tiddlywinks for another country, they are certainly not of that country.

Panesar is fine, he was born here, and lived here all his life, why would there be an issue, unless you're bringing race into the equation?
I'm trying to keep race out of the question. Panesar or any other British citizen of any foreign ancestry playing for England poses me absolutely no problem at all.

What bothers me is that you and others seem to have a problem with South African ancestry playing. Your objection to that sounded racially based.

angelic upstart

Nah far from it. Doesn't bother me where they're from, it's just if they aint English. At least aint English in my opinion. As I say, Morgan isn't from SA but he isn't English either, same as John Barnes.