• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Windfall Spend

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wonder how Crewe and Colchester do it?
and Fleetwood...................

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Let them get on with it. We have our own fish to fry and there is nothing to be gained from being green with envy. We will do things in our own way, at our own, sensible, pace. Not fast enough for some? Sure, but we have come a hell of a long way in 20 years and our progress has been built on solid ground. The Gargoyles could be getting big ideas now, but they have not proved themselves in the Championship yet. If they become an established 2nd tier club within 5 years I will be very surprised and I can see them yet falling into financial difficulties.
Meanwhile, we ignore them and do our own thing. We are Exeter City and we'll do it our way. :)
I still think it would be short sighted not to take account threats posed to our academy which provides the majority of our income in the last 20 years.
Resting on our laurels is not the answer IMHO
UTC

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Let them get on with it. We have our own fish to fry and there is nothing to be gained from being green with envy. We will do things in our own way, at our own, sensible, pace. Not fast enough for some? Sure, but we have come a hell of a long way in 20 years and our progress has been built on solid ground. The Gargoyles could be getting big ideas now, but they have not proved themselves in the Championship yet. If they become an established 2nd tier club within 5 years I will be very surprised and I can see them yet falling into financial difficulties.
Meanwhile, we ignore them and do our own thing. We are Exeter City and we'll do it our way. :)
I disagree with this, we're in a competitive business and we cornered a market that has heavily featured in our success - so much so that our very ownership model depends on it. Argyle making moves like this is a huge threat and needs to be fought head on.

Category 2 is a must in my eyes.

Bridgy 81

I think I was told we’re all set up for cat 2 apart from the indoor hub , we have increased hrs of coaching and there’s definitely more coaches and staff around the place . I’m pretty sure the academy will always take preference over the first team budget so I see us moving to cat 2 pretty soon with this windfall .
I do like your references to we’re, we and us.
But I’m surprised an agent would have such an affinity to a particular club.
You must be very unique, or not an agent?

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Last time they were in the Championship we were three steps below languishing in the conference. Our Academy didn't fall apart then and in fact we went from strength to strength. Pretty sure we will continue our upward Acadamy development under Aaron Pugh. As long as Taggy is at the helm the Acadamy will continue to be invested in and rightly so

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Last time they were in the Championship we were three steps below languishing in the conference. Our Academy didn't fall apart then and in fact we went from strength to strength. Pretty sure we will continue our upward Acadamy development under Aaron Pugh. As long as Taggy is at the helm the Acadamy will continue to be invested in and rightly so
Sorry SJ - that lot 40 mileish W are aiming at taking our Academy out, that threat needs to be recognised now
UTC

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry SJ - that lot 40 mileish W are aiming at taking our Academy out, that threat needs to be recognised now
UTC
I don't think anyone at the club is sleepwalking. Argyle are playing catch up and have recognised, want to emulate and overtake our success. To do so they are spending mega bucks on doing so. The point made by Pete is we can't spend at the same rate they are but have to do things our way - namely at a sustainable pace in a way we can afford it. In the first instance I believe this should mean we do everything we can to retain the staff we have. That may well mean increasing salaries and terms. If those connections went west it would cause big short and medium term issues for us. Secondly, we probably have to invest in the 2nd phase of the Cliff Hill Building Project to update all the facilities required for the ongoing success of the Acadamy. Perhaps the new Build could be called the Ethan Ampudu Building.

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
UTC
That may well be their ambition but it's worth remembering that they have a hell of a lot of catching up to do. After all we already have in place most of the facilities that they are planning to build according to the Training Ground Guru article.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
That may well be their ambition but it's worth remembering that they have a hell of a lot of catching up to do. After all we already have in place most of the facilities that they are planning to build according to the Training Ground Guru article.
But the local Council are funding it !

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Majority towards the playing staff. 1 to 3 year forays into League One aren't enough to justify more stadium improvements. Let's get the basis of a squad that can keep us at this level for 5 to 10 years.