• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will finishing outside the playoffs be a bad season?

rifraf

In answer to the thread title........... "absolutely not" of course.

With the depth of squad we have, finishing outside the playoffs would be a "catastrophic and tragic mis-managed disaster"......... nowhere near as good as just a "bad" season.

I still think we will make the play-offs. But in the event we don't, this should (but not sure it will) result in questions being asked and a certain management contract allowed to naturally expire. Indeed, I would like to think somebody up the food chain is already making a few contingency plans and on the look-out for a replacement towards the end of this year; there's certainly lots of talent out there who would love the chance with us......... and I suspect, if we offer a salary similar to the current incumbent, we could get a proven and quality replacement too (though admittedly I have no idea how much Tis is on) ....... but I bet it's scary after all these years.

The good news? Tis is astute. He will know the under current and reluctantly be forced to go more attacking ... which I believe will naturally turn things around and save him; so roll on this time please (or not?).

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well rifraf , if he is 'forced to go more attacking' why on earth doesn't he just get on with it soonest before the season runs out?
It doesn't seem to be in his nature but negativity and over caution is unfortunately.

STURTZ

We are setting up so defensively that in order to change it round Tisdale needs to make 3 or 4 substitutions, not possible of course. Swear he only played Loft and Stockley so that he'd have two big blokes to bring back for corners.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
In answer to the OP I think it would be a bad season considering the investment in the squad during the summer. However, it was always going to be a challenge to improve on last season after losing Watkins and Wheeler.

Agree with Credy that the squad will need A LOT of work if we did make it up this season. Too little pace and the thought of Tillson and James playing in L1 is the stuff of nightmares. Part of me would be happier staying in L2 to ensure we would be competitive as I’d hate us to go up and get totally outclassed if we didn’t strengthen appropriately.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Given I never expected to finish in the playoffs anyway I won't be surprised if we don't - said from the start that I thought we would finish 9th-10th come the end.

manc grecian

September's optimism has disappeared. The style of football is pretty difficult to watch. The manager has wet the bed again and reverted to not losing the game as his main priority. The goals have dried up, partly because of the style of play and because we are short of alternatives to Stockley. Could do with Macca rediscovering some form as the other options up front are limited.

Outside the playoffs would be a big failure and I'm less than convinced that I'd want Tisdale in charge of another big budget next year.

Last edited:

Red red

After yesterday we will not make play offs or autos. A failure of a season. And as I believe Tisdale has not signed a contract will be off. Team good enough .Manager not. Why play Moxey on the left when you gave Holmes or Edwards says it all really. Opportunity missed

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's possible to overestimate the difference in quality between leagues 1 and 2, there are a few really good teams up there but on the whole a well managed team can progress even with a team which might not run away with league 2. Hate to say it but the Greenies seemed to have a very average squad, journeymen that largely found themselves on the sidelines or, even worse, in Scotland! Carey apart they have very little to offer as individuals but Adams seems to have found their strengths and is playing to them. Sawyer still chugging along at left back and yet there on the brink of the play offs!

We go up, players raise their games, no wholesale clear outs just general strengthening and a few choice signings required, is our bloke up to it?
my take is that he is up to it , well up to it, however the proof of the pudding ect ect,, he really SHOULD be able to deliver this season

Avening Posse

Yes it would be a bad season given the squad. I don't think it will happen though. He has JMT and Brown back, and in my view was waiting for that before going to a back four without added cover (Tilson etc). I am hoping this means a more creative and attacking feel from here on in and results to match. Luton, Mansfield and Wycombe were disappointing in terms of points, but very small margins in those games. We definitely have a few lesser sides to come now....