• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Why 'Pop' Larkin is far from "perfick" - and why WMN should fire him

I don’t often buy the Western Morning News , mainly because of it’s consistent Argyle bias but I was tempted in to buy this Sundays edition because it heralded an insight into City’s Academy. This was a brilliantly informed and insightful piece by Stuart James. If those “stay away” protesters who think they are punishing Tisdale or the “suits” withholding their entrance fee – I will repeat my assertion you are cutting off your nose to spite your face- Grimes, Pym, Moore-Taylor have taken 10 years of investment to get to International level and play in our first team. Not showing for home games only serves to strangle this sort of effort.

The display on Saturday was fantastic , at last , City replicated the form that those hundreds who follow them away having been telling the home support about.

Met up with some Bury fans Saturday night and they were “purring” in magisterial fashion about the performance of Pym, Grimes. Moore-Taylor, and the entire team. Quite right too! This is undoubtedly one of the best City line-ups in the last 5 years. Tell your friends, tell your kids and bring them down to see these youngsters playing. They may only have until January to catch some of them.

I then turned to the report of the game in the WMN – by Simon ‘Pop’ Larkins.

Whilst the sub editors managed to summon up “super win” in the headline I struggle to find an adjective in Larkins report – is he having a laugh??

I can only think of half a dozen reasons for this dreary, unimaginative report of the game:

1. He tweeted his report in and was struggling for characters

2. He gets fined by the editor for each adjective he uses

3. He wasn’t at the game at all and was reporting from his local watching the vide printer.

4. He actually would rather be somewhere else and thinks St.James Park is a bit below him, when really he should be having a World exclusive with Woy Hodgson.

5. He is just a really poor reporter who can’t get across the level of skill, determination, planning, training, management and support it took to overhaul the league leaders who had only lost once this season. This was a class performance and this is in no way reflected in his report.

6. He’s about to be a victim of the WMN next economy drive and is about to be let go and, frankly, doesn’t give a “phuq”

When I see “City got a free kick. Grimes kicked it. It went in the net” -it makes me wonder what planet he’s on.

I would love to see his own reportage of his Monday morning at work.

“ I went to work. I went to my desk. I went to see the editor. He gave me my P45”

Surely he can summon up some sensible description of the game I saw

Meanwhile in the WMN Argyle lost but were really unlucky !

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Its hardly surprising that the number of home fans has reduced over a few seasons, yesterday was a very good performance and game of football. if this sort of thing becomes more regular more fans will come. we have some very good youngsters but its a bit over the top to say "this is undoubtedly one of the best city line-ups in the last five years" when that period includes our seasons in league one with Cureton, Harley, Matt Taylor to name a few.

I would love to see a big jump for the next home game but think we just have to become consistent at home and look to increase a hundred or so at a time.

motorservices

I concur, i dont normally by it, but did today, i was expecting to see some really really positive things about ECFC, but there werent, yet i then glanced through the argyle match report and it said they should have won easy, the bias is clear for all to see, we could win every game 5 nil till the end of the season and the WMN would still find a reason to slag us off and put us down

motorservices

I would love to see a big jump for the next home game but think we just have to become consistent at home and look to increase a hundred or so at a time.
Im gonna stick my neck out and say this,

If we win on Friday at daggers then i think a week saturday against hartlepool we will have around 3700, all we need to do is continue with the attacking system and scoring goals

Silver fox

I concur, i dont normally by it, but did today, i was expecting to see some really really positive things about ECFC, but there werent, yet i then glanced through the argyle match report and it said they should have won easy, the bias is clear for all to see, we could win every game 5 nil till the end of the season and the WMN would still find a reason to slag us off and put us down
That's why I don't buy the crap, would sooner read the Sun!!!

Fair point but it would be of some help if there was some decent reporting of events on the field.

i loved the the taylor, harley , cureton team - but grimes eclipses Harley any day of the week , cureton was good but getting on in years - Taylor of course a class act and super nice guy BUT in terms of youth , skill,potential and futures this team is probably the most exciting I have seen for an age - £16 well spent in my opinion. I happened to bump into the referees assessor who said he thought you would be unlikely to see a match of such quality in Div 2 - AND City were more than deserved winners

yes but the double page spread on the academy was brilliant! and goes along way to explaining where a good deal of money has gone. Grimes, Pym and the like are not overnight successes they are result of 10 years of hard work across the club

motorservices

yes but the double page spread on the academy was brilliant! and goes along way to explaining where a good deal of money has gone. Grimes, Pym and the like are not overnight successes they are result of 10 years of hard work across the club
havent read that yet, after reading the match reports i was ****ed off and took the kids to the zoo to relax :)

Silver fox

havent read that yet, after reading the match reports i was ****ed off and took the kids to the zoo to relax :)
Didn't know Home Park was open today motor..

That's why I don't buy the crap, would sooner read the Sun!!!
There was a cracking report in The Sun - look at the pictures - 5 of our players - hardly shaving ! this a really exciting times for City fans and anyone interested in football in the City!!

Last edited: